Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I am getting my 93 polaris 500 EFI ready for the winter. It starts great and idles fine. When I rev it up, it bogs down and will not go past 3500 rpm's. The clutch is trying to engage but the engine continues to cycle (faster, then slower). I have spark on both plugs, but not sure if the spark is that strong. When I pull the plugs, they are real damp. I change it out and let it run and pull the plugs and the new ones are damp.

Is it my ignition that will not let the engine rev up?

Thanks for any help!

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
try some fresh gas./// make sure the carbs are clean. and the choke is not sticking.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Make sure you have new gas first, and also check you spark plug for high resistance. They have a habit of the internal resistor going bad while sitting over the summer. Should not be higher than 5000- 6000 ohm.
If those two problems check out ok, then you might want to go over all the electrical connections on the engine and computer system. It sounds as if you might have a corroded crankcase temperature sensor connection. This makes computer think it is -40F, and the computer will go so rich it will never rev up. There is also an airbox temp sensor, and a coolant temp sensor.
Most problems on Polaris EFI's stem from electrical connections, or low octane fuel. Other than that they are bulletproof, they just got a bad reputation because people didn't understand them. They came out to soon, Arctic Cat's is almost the same system and people love it because more techs knew how to work on them by time AC introduced EFI

·
Registered
623 Posts
make sure you have right plugs too and they shouldnt really be damp and old sleds like that dont push that much spark like my 400, id proboly just put new ones in, im sure its a simple problem

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the information. I got the sled running again. I dumped the old gas and replaced it with 92 octane gas. When I fired it up, still had the same issues. I then put in in plugs (NGK BR9ES). Tried it again and she was running great.

Again, thanks for the information.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts