Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been riding an old indy 500, runs great, think it is a 92, maybe a 91. Steers like a tank, rides like a brick, but runs great. My friend wrecked it a while back, so it has no cowling, gauges, etc., but runs great. I picked up what I am told is a 97 600 xc, it has the xtra 10 rear suspension, crc is on the front, better track, fox shocks, clean cowling, and no engine, for $300. I am having a hard time figuring out what chassis this is, is it an evolved? The trailing arms tuck into machine, the bolt is not exposed like on the older indy. The aluminum engine pans mounts differently to the tub, so I am thinking I can just drill some new wholes in the pan from the 97 machine, and bolt the 92 engine to it, sound reasonable? I am hopeing thing will handle and ride way better than what I am used too, I couldn't turn the bars on the old machine unless I was moving at least 10 mph. What am I getting myself into, what have I over looked, and what chassis is a 97 xc 600?

Thanks, Eric

· Registered
3,214 Posts
you have an early release xc chassis or a 98. It has the "tucked in" trailing arms. It more than likely came with a domestic twin engine installed.

Polaris made a 1997 Xc 600 that had a Fugi tripple as well, but it did not have the tucked in trailing arms. Polaris made a Early release of 200 1997 1/2 XC 600 with the Twin. Then full production of the 1998 XC600. Both of these would have the tucked in trailing arms.

Any of these would be a Wedge chassis sled

Snowmobile Sled Vehicle Footwear Winter sport

my 1998 xc 600

Attachments

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The air box in the XC has two holes in it, I am guessing this means two carbs, so I believe it was once a twin. Is it worth the hassle of putting that 500 in it? Will it ride any better than the older chassis? Thanks the quick replies.
Eric

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The belt on the new sled is a 1/16 of an inch thicker, according to dayco, or carlisle, or whatever. I have the primary clutch from the 600 motor, will it fit the 500? Or can I just run the old clutch, and have the primary gab a little sooner. Want the sled to run as good as it can, but not bad enough to over complicate things, or spend money.

· Registered
3,214 Posts
Sledman74 said:
I had a 1997 XC 600 it came with a piston port triple
did you notice where I stated that polaris made a 1997 xc600 fuji triple

aknewb said:
The belt on the new sled is a 1/16 of an inch thicker, according to dayco, or carlisle, or whatever. I have the primary clutch from the 600 motor, will it fit the 500? Or can I just run the old clutch, and have the primary gab a little sooner. Want the sled to run as good as it can, but not bad enough to over complicate things, or spend money.
If the clutch is indeed off the domestic 600 twin it will not work on the fuji 500....Look the clutch over and post all the no.s stamped into the clutch. The domestic engine belt set up was wider than your old 500 and a longer center to center.

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The belt that this machine was running up until the engine seized is 48.38 inches center to center, and 1.44 inches wide. The belt on the 500 is 47.25 inches center to center,and 1.38 inches wide. Assuming the engine is bolted in in such a way that the center distances are correct, outside of the primary clutch contacting the belt sooner, is there any reason I can't run the Fuji 500 primary with the wider belt?

· Registered
3,214 Posts
the 500 clutch center to center is 12 inches

the xc is 12.5 inches

I would set it up with the 12 inch center to center if you can, and just use the fuji primary and secondary clutches and belt

you could also shim the 500 primary clutch and use a wider belt...not worth the hassel IMO

Also you will need to get the clutch offset correct before you drill your new holes...I would get or borrow a tool for the offset

Sledman74 said:
must be a 98 XC 600
it would handle and ride better
again as stated above, it very well could be a early release 1997 1/2 XC 600...And yes, that would be a better chassis than the 1997 XC600 fuji or the old 500

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.