Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering, if my clutch belt is a bit tighter than its suppose to be would this cause it to idle lower? cause i just put a new one on and its a bit tight and now it idles pretty low, like around 900rpms it use to idle at like 1100. Also it makes a squeaking noise that is really annoying! any help please? thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
Definitely if you have squeaking, the clutch is rubbing against the belt, which is probably causing the loss of the RPM. You can adjust the secondary to increase the belt deflection and the squeaking should go away.

Depending on which secondary you have, you either have to remove the secondary and add shims between the sheaves for the non-adjustable kind, or loosen the three bolts on the outside of the secondary and rotate the adjuster on the ones with the external adjustment. Turn the cam clockwise to increase the distance between the sheaves (go from 2 to 3, for example). Do not rotate past 1 or 5.

Proper belt deflection should be about 1 1/4", and is measured by placing a straight edge across the belt, pushing down on the belt, and measuring the amount of space from the belt to the straight edge. Don't press down on the belt too hard, you don't want the belt sinking into the secondary when you check the adjustment.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well my belt broke and we took the spare one off of a 95 polaris special XLT 580 and put it on mine then it started making the squeaking and idleing low. Do you think the belt is wider on this machine than it would be on mine?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts