Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Believe my 98' Indy 500 needs its primary rebuilt - eg. new buttons, rollers etc, as it intermittently boggs down under acceleration. Questions: should I take it to a dealer to fix, or fork out the bucks for the tools to do it myself? Also, any easy recommended modifications I could do to boost acceleration - eg. change the primary spring or weights? I'm stock now, what should I chnage to?

Suggestions welcome!

·
Registered
78 Posts
Boggin at acceleration sounds like a carb setup problem to me. Although if it is intermittent, it could be clutch related. Have you checked/synched the carbs lately?

If it is the clutch, probably the dealer is the best place. Its a "catch-22" situation. You probably need to buy about the same dollar value of tools that it costs to have it serviced, but at least you have the tools (and expertise) for next time...

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Don't think it is the carbs as it usually only bogs down after 35mph, good pull up till then. Plus I was out for 3 hrs on Sunday and it didn't start acting up till the very end of the ride. So I'm thinking the primary is sticking - I just stripped down the 2ndary and cleaned it, but haven't been out yet to test it.

BTW, what would cause the carbs to get out of sync?

·
Registered
85 Posts
i had a simalar problem last weekend, turned out the buttons were completely gone off the secondary, put in new buttons and cleaned everything up, put her back together and now better than new!!
good luck

·
Registered
85 Posts
i had a simalar problem last weekend, turned out the buttons were completely gone off the secondary, put in new buttons and cleaned everything up, put her back together and now better than new!!
good luck

·
Registered
277 Posts
How many miles on the sled? The primary clutch should last well into the 5000 mile range without having any wear problems on a 500. If its bogging when you get to around the 35 mph range, thats when your secondary is shifting out faster, due to centrifical force. Check your secondary to make sure everything is clean and not binding. Also check to see what hole the spring is in. If its a stock spring and helix, go in the third hole, or if you do just trail riding, go in the forth hole even. The forth hole will give you a tighter clutch, slightly slower upshift but faster backshifting. Less bog. Let me know how you make out.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Okay, I'm actually re-thinking my clutch problem - although it has over 5000m I'm thinking it could now be a carb problem. The reason for my change in heart is that it was only firing on one cylinder on Sat during idle. We checked the plugs, compression and fuel and it still wouldn't fire. However when I took it out on the trial it seemed to fire up. I could get it up to speed no problem then I'd let off and I'd loose all power. Then it would kick in again. So I'm thinking perhaps it could be my float sticking....does that make sense? Also I used up nearly twice as much fuel as by buddy over the same distance - so thinking it is running real rich thus the mixture won't fire at idle. The one plug was real wet when we took it out. Mind you on Sunday it idled fine....I'm seriously confused...and getting annoyed and the beast.

Help me figure out what I need to rebuild this spring so I'm not having these problems next winter!

·
Registered
749 Posts
I'm confused to wheather it is not firing because of wire problems or if it is simply flooding itself. Sounds more like a wire problem to me. //does both plugs fire when it is pulled over. Check. I'm sure u know how to do this.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah - I checked both plugs for spark and they looked good. When we pulled the one plug it was plenty wet. What else can you do to check for wiring issues if it is intermittent? Although I'm more inclined to believe it is gettin flooded. But not sure that would explain why it is bogging down at 40mph and sitting there with no more top end, until you hit a bump or whatever, then it gets its top end back and is up to 75! Would you get a backfire if it was only firing on one cylinder and the muffler was hot? I didn't get this so not sure if this rules out the one cylinder scenario.

·
Registered
85 Posts
hey guys, i've been experienceing very similar problems....i have narrowed it down to the secondary clutch hanging on decelleration, if i hit the brake hard, it will let the clutch close up (it seems) then i have all kinds of acceration again...not sure, i too took my secondary apart (again...UGH!) i cleaned up all the bushings and shafts...i haven't had a chance to check it out but hope to tom. nite.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I thought it was my secondary too, but after taking it apart and giving it a thorough cleaning it still didn't fix it. Hope it works for you. I'm going to take a closer look at my carbs, but will keep my eye on the secondary too, and I haven't ruled out the primary either!!!

·
Registered
32 Posts
I forgot to plug my carb vent lines back in the airbox one time and it got iced up from snow dust, this caused all kinds of weird carb problems that day, rich then lean, back to normal on it's own. not sure if it was from ice forming in the carbs or the vent lines getting clogged.
I'm not saying your's aren't plugged in but could they be clogged?

·
Registered
128 Posts
lots of times a spark plug will show a good spark laying on top of an engine but will fail under compression. i would start with a new set of plugs[;)]

1 - 13 of 13 Posts