Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a 91 indy 400, it's got a brand new belt, it's the right belt ,both clutches are totally rebuilt. I took it out for a quick ride today, it seemed fine @ frst but the more I rode it started to want to keep going when I let off the [email protected] slow speeds. My belt height is about 1/8 ",although my belt deflection is only about 3/4",I don't know what my center distance is though. Anyone have any ideas.thanks,Pete

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
Maybe your shimmed too tight on the primary clutch.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Center is too close together, of you have the deflection to high.

·
Administrator
13,095 Posts
If your deflection is wrong, there is a cam on the secondary clutch. You loosen the 3 bolts and then turn the cam, which will open the secondary clutch a bit causing the belt to be lower in the secondary clutch loosening the belt a bit.

·
Registered
39 Posts
The deflection is how much the belt rides out of the 2ndary clutch. Drop it down and see if the sled stops kreeping. If you adjust till the top of the belt is flush to the top of the 2ndary, then you might need another shim in the primary.

The adjustment is just like Polaris-man says

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey guys I only have about an 1/8" of belt height now,do I still want to drop the belt lower to achieve this- or do I need to shim the primary. if I need to shim the primary please advise on how to do so.thanks,Pete

·
Registered
39 Posts
1/8th of ride out in the 2ndary is kind of high. Just back it off and try it.

If the primary needs another shim, then it will have to come apart.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I don't mean to sound ignorant, but if I drop the belt down by adding shims, is this how the center distance is changed or is it done by another means.thanks,Pete

·
Registered
39 Posts
Center distance is that between the centor of the bolt in the jackshaft and the pri clutch. Shiming will not alter either.

The deflection adjustment on the 2ndary just adjusts hom far apart the 2 halves of the clutch. This is the adjustment for belt wear, and for 2 belts that are just a bit longer or shorter.

As long as they are the same part number, take a string and wrap it around each belt, and you will see which is shorter, even though they are technically the same. They can vary +-.250

Guys that race will go to the dealer and buy a belt, will measure several this way, just to keep things consistant belt to belt.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts