Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok so i have a 1974 polaris colt 340s/s i have 3 motors for it 2 of them are ec34pm-03 and one is ec34pm-04 im putting the 34pm-04 motor in it i have 2 sets of coils for the motors but they have different part numbers. near the end of the part number one is a 3 and one has a 6 sorry i dont have the whole number off the top f my head. let me know if you have any info on which one to put on, thanks
nick

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ok so i got the coils on and i got spark only out of one of them???? i knwo they both work ive switched the sires around so does this mean that one condenser is bad or one points?? let me knwo if you have any info thanks
nick

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
If you are only getting spark from one and you know that they both work, then most likely it is the points or condenser. Since you will need to pull the flywheel to change even one, it is recommended that you change both to avoid problems later on.

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
Different chain sprockets and clutch setup.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
last year i had it up to 70mph. its fast for a old sled its scary. ita a 340 fan cooled motor. it has the dual minuki carbs. it helps to have the ski spredders when your going fast on the old sled. how fast is your cutlass??

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
Actually, a '72 Colt 250SS free air clocked on hardpack @ 69mph with a GPS

·
Registered
433 Posts
96zr580efi - you've made 5 posts in this topic and added nothing of value

i agree with the speed, colts were speedy little things

try swapping the coil that isnt sparking with your spare

Kevin

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
well last night i got both sides to spark. i changed the condensor on the side wasnt working and it works now. but for some reason the side that worked before doesnt any more. i didnt even touch it?? they both had spark for about 5 pulls then i watched it slowly go away as i pulled more?? did the condensor just go bad on the other one? i dont get it its not the coil or plug. let me know what you think
thanks
nick

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
When ever you have those apart to change even one condenser, it is wise to do both and the points should be freshened at the same time.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
i just put a old one from the other motor on it to see if that was the problem. it must have been. i ordered 2 new condensers off the net im still waiting for them. i just dont get why the one that worked before all of a sudden doesnt any more did the points get dirty in like 5 seconds or did the condensor break in 5 seconds i dont know i hope they both work when i get the condensors for it. cross my fingers

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
A condenser is a capacitor and they are prone to sudden failure. That's why if one fails it is best to replace both. Did you file the points? If you do, and you do not nave a points file, you can use an emery board to smooth the contacts. Only use two or three strokes and you will not have to reset the gaps.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
ok so i had fun today. i put the new points and condensors in and thought i set the point gap good. it has nice spark on both cylinders, consistent. i put everthing back together put some gas in it and it started up and died. did this a few times then i got it to run smooth for about 30 seconds and it backfired. i spiled alittle gas behind the carbs. i srayed some in there to get it to strart right up well when it backfired it lit all that gas on fire man that was scary. so now if anyone can help with some info on setting the points that would be greatly appreciated. thanks
nick

1 - 20 of 27 Posts