Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Without Tearing Down The Engine Would It Be Possible To Tell If A Crank Lobe Has Spun ?? I Brought My '95 XCR 600 (1800 miles) To The Local Dealer For Service And They Tell Me I've Got A Spun Crank Lobe On The #2 Cylinder . They Also Tell Me That I Can Ride The Sled Like This And It Will Be O.K., Which Makes Me Kinda Nervous , Running On Two Cylinders . Looking At Upgrading Sleds Next Season So I'm Not Trying To Put Alot Of $$$ Into This , But Also Don't Want To Do Major Damage To It . Been At The Dealer Since 12 / 31 And I'm REALLY !!!! Wanting To Get Out And Ride .

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I Was Told That If It's Out Of Time And Just Needs To Be Indexed Then It Could Be Safely Run, It Would Just Be Losing Poiwer . If The Bearings Are Bad Then It's A Whole Other Story Though.

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Not sure on this one man. But if your definately planning on getting a new sled next year, and your dealer said to run it, I guess I'd run it. But I wouldn't take it on any extended sled vacations or ride it a long way into the middle of no where. It might run for a day, a week, or two to three months.......also depends on how hard you ride it. You just don't know.

If you were planning on keeping the sled I'd DEFINATELY get it fixed now!!! Spun cranks are nothing to sniff at. They'll only lead to more, and expensive problems. Good luck in what ever you decide.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Trade it in on a cat. If you do end up with a burn out its not worth much. If you end wreckin your crank you can buy a used sled for the price that a dealer wants for a crank.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts