Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First post here for this season[:D] I picked up a '99 (I think) Polaris domestic 440 (bellows style powervalves, case reed) complete motor at Haydays with the intention of putting it in my '97 xc440. What's going to be involved with putting the domestic motor in the standard chassis. I know that in the 98 xcr440 they did that. Is it just a matter of getting the correct mounts? And what about the airbox?? Sled is 60 miles away so I haven't had much chance to look yet. The guy said the motor was in an edge but there are re-location holes drilled in the plates so who knows.

Only real issue is I g2 pull every thing apart because I think there's a toasted crank bearing. With plugs out the crank turns with numerous detents. Are there any common issues with these motors? Also, will the clutch from my 97 fit on the domestic cause that ones in a lot better shape. Thanks [8D]

·
Registered
4,617 Posts
They should both be P85 clutches so it will fit, but make sure you change the weights and the spring cause the domestic twin with VES is gonna pull quite a bit harder.

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
I don't know of any common issues with that engine other than the need to "get the pipe hot" before you drive off with it.

I'm not sure if the motor mounts fit the same, but it should be pretty easy to get to fit. I hope you got the full exhaust system and CDI with the motor. I think the airbox from your old one might work, maybe take a little re-fitting to get the carbs in the box. I'm not sure if the clutch from the Fuji will fit the USA motor, it might. Re-clutch and I think your ready to go.

·
Registered
777 Posts
is this a 440 race motor,if so ,you will probably wish it was a 00 440.so i,m told,just went through this with some one else

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't really know what it is, yet. I'm going to get the engine# and see what the polaris dealer says. Whats the issue with the 99 race motors?

And I did get everything...carbs, cdi, exhaust. With the case reed placing the carbs lower I'll probably need a 98 xcr airbox. I'll have to reclutch my secondary and possibly regear the chaincase. Pman what setup did you end up with on your 98?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts