Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone add some photos of the correct mounting of a 1996 Polaris 600 XLT? I recently purchased a snowmobile where is was removed and was able to find a used one to install. I don't have a manual or instructions. Any help is appreciated.

[:p]

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Any help here? I need to make sure I mount it correctly this weekend and test out the motor. The seller indicated that it worked, I just want to make sure. Thanks.

LD[:p]

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Damned if I can find a pic on the net of where it mounts. All the normal sites display everything except where the electric start mounts.

there is a bracket on the back of the starter where two 10 mm bolts go though and mount to the front of the crank case, on the pto side of the case, so that the sproket on the starter can engage the teeth on the back of the primary clutch. There is also a bracket that mounts directly to the crank case and the starter is bolted to it, right behind the primary.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Tfin70, thanks for the input. I see that you have a 97' XLT. Does it have electric start? Any photos available? Do I just bolt in as you describe and hook-up the
(+)/(-) terminal leads from the battery and begin starting? I know this is simple but I don't want to fry or blow-up anything. Thanks for the input.

LD[B)]

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Originally posted by lmdski
[br]Tfin70, thanks for the input. I see that you have a 97' XLT. Does it have electric start? Any photos available? Do I just bolt in as you describe and hook-up the
(+)/(-) terminal leads from the battery and begin starting? I know this is simple but I don't want to fry or blow-up anything. Thanks for the input.

LD[B)]
Yes, mine has electric start. If you can wait till Mon, I'll take some pics over the weekend and post them here Mon morning. I've even got the engine out of the sled and disassembled, so I should be able to get some good ones for ya!

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sounds great. I was hoping to try it out this weekend but I may not be able to get to it till next week anyway. Thanks Tfin70.

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Heres the pics, sorry for the poor quality. The first one here shows where the back bracket of the starter bolts to the crank case. See the two small 10mm bolts, one on top of the other.

This next one shows where the front bracket of the starter (the piece in my hand) goes. The two larger allen wrench bolts just to the left of the holes in the bracket. This is the front of the crank case on the pto side (clutch side). Hope this helps.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts