Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a 1991 Polaris Indy400, the engine is fresh top&bottom. it's .020 over w/weiseco piston kit. the head has been cut approx. .010. the carbs were just cleaned, new carb flanges. Here's the problem I know it's cold enough but I can't get this thing to idle anywhere between 1200-2000 rpms. Is there something I've missed or are doing wrong. I don't know exactly where it should be either, any suggestions. Is 2000 to much, I know I don't want it to be 1200 the motor bogs when it's there. please HELP.thanks,Pete

·
Registered
608 Posts
2000 RPM is fine. Make sure the carbs are in sync. I believe the proper idle is 1800 +/- 200. I prefer to be close to 2000 on a 2 stroke.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
sounds like the throttle cables are adjusted incorrectly to me.Or also liquid snowmobiles idle high utill they are good and warm and then idle down. some times people try to set idle with the belt off and this is inncorrect too. A properly adjusted belt drags the engine down just enough to make it kick down when its at opperating temperature.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm not sure what exactly you mean about the cables, are you refering to the slides opening @ the same time.let me know. thanks,Pete

·
Registered
47 Posts
Carburetor syncronization is just that the slides opening at the same time. Any shop manual you could find will give you the correct info on carb syncronization.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
When the cables are set correctly they will pull evenly from closed to fully open. They will also be adjusted so that the idle screws can effect idle speed when turned in or out. If they are incorrect the cable can hold the slide up even though you turned out the screw. This condition could cause you not to be able to lower your idle.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts