Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went outside and started my 1989 polaris today and it started pretty easy but after it ran for about 5 minutes it just died. I kept trying to start it again but it wouldnt start. It has new spark plugs in it and a full tank of gas but it still wont start. Any ideas?

·
Registered
761 Posts
polarisrider98 said:
would it be because it is flooded? because i took out the plugs on the front of the motor and gas came pouring out of it.
Floats in the carb are stuck...you have a severe flooded situation...please be careful when pulling the motor over at this point....Best bet is to make sure key is off and even better take the coil out...

if you get an accidental spark at this point you could burn the whole sled to ashes...

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i took apart the carbs and cleaned them and the floats look fine. And how long should i pull it over before it it unflooded?

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i put the plugs back in and pulled it and it still wont start. I put a little gas in the carbs and still nothing. what could be wrong?

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
You put the old plugs back in? Try new ones. The old are probably fouled. Check for spark?

·
Registered
258 Posts
Check the simple things first. Key on, kill switch/safety teather etc. If all this checks out look at all the connectors and wires etc. Maybe its a bad ground wire. If all this checks out its time to try the ole volt meter and have someone pull it over. Could be bad plug wires, coils or stator at that point.

·
Registered
741 Posts
RAMROD said:
polarisrider98 said:
would it be because it is flooded? because i took out the plugs on the front of the motor and gas came pouring out of it.
Floats in the carb are stuck...you have a severe flooded situation...please be careful when pulling the motor over at this point....Best bet is to make sure key is off and even better take the coil out...

if you get an accidental spark at this point you could burn the whole sled to ashes...
yep....i learned the hard way

2010124172841843_29956.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
robosnow said:
Check the simple things first. Key on, kill switch/safety teather etc. If all this checks out look at all the connectors and wires etc. Maybe its a bad ground wire. If all this checks out its time to try the ole volt meter and have someone pull it over. Could be bad plug wires, coils or stator at that point.
I made sure the key was on and the kill switch was off and still no spark. Is there a connection somewhere so i can just unplug the kill switch and key and then see if it has spark?

·
Registered
394 Posts
you can disconnect the wires of the key, put some electrical tape on them (dont leave them bare just in case), then give it a yank. If that doesnt work the kill switch should be able to slide out after the removal of some screws in the handlebar throttle assembly.
Basically just trying everything electrical, not to much electrical on that sled so shouldnt be hard.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
alright i am going to try that tomorrow and see if it works

Vamped400 said:
RAMROD said:
polarisrider98 said:

yep....i learned the hard way

2010124172841843_29956.jpg
damn what kind of sled was that?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts