Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a polaris Indy 500 I got from a friend. I cant get it to start. I tried cleaning the carbs. I have a nice blue spark. It seems like I'm getting quit a bit of fuel into my carbs. I have the air box off. And see fuel on the inside of the carb. I have not done a compression test yet. My cousin told me it may be the CDI box. I am confused on what to do. It doesn't even pop like it wants to start. Also when I pull it over the light doesn't light up should it?

·
Registered
3,435 Posts
whats the compression?

·
Registered
383 Posts
If you pull it over hard, and there's absolutely no glow from the headlight (it should at least be faint / dim), you have an electrical issue or a blown headlight bulb.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So I did a compression test and left side has 120 and right side has 80. Should I start with checking piston rings and see if I have an issue first. And should I do both sides while I have it apart.

·
Registered
2,708 Posts
Good place to start, you'll need rings for both sides to keep the compression equal and have the engine perform properly.

While it is all apart look over the crank and crank seals to make sure all is well in there. Also give the carbs a cleaning.

It sounds like you may have bigger issues with electrical for the head light not to glow when you pull it over.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So when I pull the rings off I will need to pull the whole pistons out right? Am I going to need new wrist pins? And do I need to hone the walls? I don't have a honing tool so if its a must I can either get one or have someone do it. I don't have a lot of money to put into this right now. Someone said a scotch bright pad would work considering I don't have scratches. I really appreciate all of your help

·
Registered
2,708 Posts
If your just changing the rings there is no need to pull the pistons off the connecting rods. Just lift the cylinders off and replace the rings with the new ones. Check the cylinders while they are off. Likely the cylinder with good compression won't need to be honed, the other cylinder will need to be check throughly and possibly needs to be honed. You have to figure out why it lost compression on that one side so quickly.

You won't need a new wrist pin unless the pistons are damaged and needing to be replaced.

I don't think scotch bright pads will work, but I am not sure as I have never used it for that or ever heard of anyone using it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I need to do a leak down test on my Indy 500 to check seals and I have never done it before can someone help walk me through it. I know I need to plug intake and exhaust. Will expansion plugs work for that.I don't know what to do other than that

·
Registered
564 Posts
Since you have to pull the cylinders (and it is a monoblock) which means it comes off as one piece. By a gasket kit, they are cheap and its best to have a fresh gaskets when its all back together so you don't have to worry about them later, or go through the work again.

·
Registered
383 Posts
I need to do a leak down test on my Indy 500 to check seals and I have never done it before can someone help walk me through it. I know I need to plug intake and exhaust. Will expansion plugs work for that.I don't know what to do other than that
Google it. There are sites with step-by-step instructions and possibly even videos. Short of that, start your own thread asking for help.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts