Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
2001 Polaris Indy 500 Problem

Hey guys so i own a 2001 polaris indy 500 im a new rider im 15 about to be 16 just starting this year iv ridden freinds before but i now own my own sled..

So i have kind of a little problem with it i bought it for $900 and the gas in it is a year old and the oil is fine i need to put coolant in it.. But the problem is the sled wont just start up when you pull it you have to give it gas then pull to start it the sled wont idle but its not boggy once its on its on but im trying to get it to idle so it doesnt just shut off when you dont give it gas the guy i bought it from knows about sleds and he said its cause of old gas he told me he cleaned the carbs and all that which i do believe because its not boggy..

My question is how do i make my sled idle and why wont it idle and how come you have to give the sled throttle and pull to have it going

·
Super Moderator
11,278 Posts
Does the idle just need to be turned up? There is a screw on the right side of each carb that will raise the idle, turn them out evenly.

·
Registered
409 Posts
if you have an air leak in the boot (to the carbs) then you may have idle issues but that usually also bogs. download a manual for that year sled and see where/what adjustments you can do.

·
Registered
2 Posts
First things first. Drain the gas and replace. I've had year old gas that wouldn't start a sled.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
383 Posts
And second things second... it's still not winter. Warm weather will make a sled harder to start and it will idle poorly because it's running so rich. Do NOT adjust the carbs until the cold temps are here.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Drain the gas and probably change plugs too. Old gas will fowl your plugs. Make sure always to carry extra plugs with you too. BR-8 is what I think you'll need. Double check for sure. Do a web search and read up on phase seperation of gasoline. Every sled rider should know about this.

·
Registered
1 Posts
2001 Polaris Indy 500 Problem

Hey guys so i own a 2001 polaris indy 500 im a new rider im 15 about to be 16 just starting this year iv ridden freinds before but i now own my own sled..

So i have kind of a little problem with it i bought it for $900 and the gas in it is a year old and the oil is fine i need to put coolant in it.. But the problem is the sled wont just start up when you pull it you have to give it gas then pull to start it the sled wont idle but its not boggy once its on its on but im trying to get it to idle so it doesnt just shut off when you dont give it gas the guy i bought it from knows about sleds and he said its cause of old gas he told me he cleaned the carbs and all that which i do believe because its not boggy..

My question is how do i make my sled idle and why wont it idle and how come you have to give the sled throttle and pull to have it going
check out your plugs and wires also when your in there and congrats on the sled my first sled was a 69, skidoo elan !! you could almost put it in your pocket,!! it was almost guaranteed to break down every ride I'd go on!! BUT in DEEP SNOW theybwould all be waiting and waiting for me to come break a new trail!!wish I still owned it !!
also he may of cleaned the carbs but all it takes is a spec of dirt to mess up that sleds whole world!! Its possible that he didn't set the idle correctly when he put the carbs back on!! let us known how u make out...and if possible do the work yourself you will reap from your rewards as time goes on...working on sleds taught me about everything I know about 2 stroke motors..remember theres fuel air or spark...its gonna be an issue with one I'll guarantee you that!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts