Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was looking at the track on my 1990 polaris indy 500 today, and noticed that one side of the lugs look to be worn more then the other ones. im not sure if i can flip the track so that it has more traction on snow for the next season. there seems to be more tred on the other side of the lugs. help me out guys!

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
i believe all tracks are directional

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
^ that's why they have an arrow pointing to what direction the track should go. I believe I heard that some mountain riders do that practice on some sleds with stock tracks from the factory.

·
Registered
134 Posts
it seems sketchy. i would just spend the 300 dollars instead of trying something like that. its better to be safe then sorry. just my .02

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
what type of track should i look for then.. right now this track measures .75inch which isnt alot of tread. the tread also cannot be to big that it hits the radiator that the track runs by.

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
bj.hardy said:
i believe all tracks are directional
That's what I think too. By installing the track in the opposite direction I don't know if it would harm the integrity of the track or not. I would think they are made inside to take the stress primarily in the direction of travel marked by the arrow. I would also think that the traction pattern on the track is designed to work best when the track is installed in the right direction.

·
Registered
134 Posts
well if the track is originaly .75, why do you want to change it? i may not be understanding this

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i get no traction in the snow what so ever.. i need something that can get threw snow.. i thought by chaging the direction of the track would give me more traction. but thats not going to work, so now i need to know what size of track will work best and fit my sled so i dont get stuck in the powder while the other skidoos drive by laughin at my sorry ass :p

·
Registered
134 Posts
haha well im not sure what lug height you can go. maybe try measuring from from where there is no lug up to the tunnel. sorry im no expert

or you could extent you rail and tunnel to 136? just a though, not sure how much money you have and if its worth it putting it onto that sled

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
im not planning on droping alot into it i like it mostly stock cuz i never have problems with stock . but ill check it out and see what i can do

·
Registered
454 Posts
check out a 1 inch track, drop the rear of the skid to the last bolt whole on the rear hanger. If memory serves me correct a 1 or 1.25 will work with out having to change drivers. If you plan on studding out the track then you will want tunnel protectors so you dont eat the heat exchangers or the tunnel. But a 1.25 picked track will need small drivers.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
alright ill deff look out for a 1 inch track.. im not a big fan of studs especially since the heat exchanger can get hit

·
Registered
454 Posts
90polaris500 said:
alright ill deff look out for a 1 inch track.. im not a big fan of studs especially since the heat exchanger can get hit
If you run a 1 inch track then you might be able to get away with a 1.38 stud. But you will need tunnel protectors. Glad i could help. I ditch bang and do a lot of field running, so i understand wanting much more that the .75 stocker. My old Storm and RXL will be running 1.38 cobras this year.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
Tracks are directional due to braking distances. Turned a track around on my 94 440 so it was rotating in the opposite direction for a little extra bite, but I'm sure it hurt braking effectiveness significantly

·
Registered
148 Posts
Polaris_Parts_MN said:
Tracks are directional due to braking distances. Turned a track around on my 94 440 so it was rotating in the opposite direction for a little extra bite, but I'm sure it hurt braking effectiveness significantly
That is the reason for the direction arrows on a track "Braking". You can clear 1 1/4" without studs and a 1" with studs. You do not want to swap the direction of your track, you'll notice it in your braking.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts