Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys, Me and my buddy went out riding, We both have Polaris Indy Trails, mines a 1989 488fan. Hes got a 92 488 trail.

So we went out for a quick ride yesterday. Its been around 30 here in MN. And after awhile our sleds just start booggginnggg like no other. Its only on the low end. Get it up and going you got all the power it usually does. Its Ironic that BOTH of our sleds did this. My buddys got to the point where we stopped once, and he couldent get it to move for a couple minutes. Just bogged.

So anyway. I couldent get it started today. Pulled the plugs, wet. Pulled the drain plugs for the crankcase, and gas came pouring out. Any idea's what the hell is going on? I know sleds don't run the best in this weather. But it shouldn't disable it like this. I'm running 220 main jets. and the stock pilot jets.

Let me know what you guys think, since our other sleds never did this.

Thanks, Dan

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Bad needle and seat??

·
Registered
632 Posts
^^^ x2

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
picman said:
Bad needle and seat??
Well, Its been fine for the entire season, but now this horrible bog, has top end. but not low end. I went through the carbs last night, all checked out. I'm totally lost on what it could be. But I have a spare set of carbs. Ill give those a shot.

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
You either have a stuck/bad float, plugged vent line for the gas tank, or your fuel inlet needle and seat is worn out allowing too much fuel to enter the crank case. Those are the only reasons you'd have that much gas to drain out of the crank case.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
TriumphoverU said:
You either have a stuck/bad float, plugged vent line for the gas tank, or your fuel inlet needle and seat is worn out allowing too much fuel to enter the crank case. Those are the only reasons you'd have that much gas to drain out of the crank case.
An Idea just popped into my head. could the fuel pump diaphram have a hole in it letting fuel pass the impulse line going into the motor? I have heard of that happening. I put my spare carbs on, which I KNOW are good, and its still flooding out.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Yes now that I think of it, 2 years back, I forgot to shut my gas off one night and the next day I was flooded to my neck in gas. It was the fuel pump. We got a repair kit,but that lasted a week, so we got a new one.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, I have put a kit in it. Its about a month old tops. But I went out. Switched carbs. I checked the drain plugs after I switched the carbs. And really nothing comes out. Runs better now. BUT still has a horrible bog. Likes to stick around 4K Then you can get it to come to life and BRRAAPPP! Up to 7500 rpm. I have a video of what its doing. Can I upload video on here? Or any of you guys got a facebook?

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
If you got some gunk in your gas, it possibly could cause your needle and seat not to close, which would cause the flooding; and you could also have plugged your pilot jets causing the bog. Put your sled on a stand and run it. When you get to the bog RPM, quickly flip the choke on. If the bog improves, it's probably a lean bog and your pilots are plugged. Since your flooding, that certainly points to the float assemblies. You could easily check the fuel pump theory by pulling off the air impulse line and seeing if any gas leaks out.

·
Registered
110 Posts
If it were me, Id think about what the two sleds have in common...very unlikley you both have the same "mechanical" issues.

Did the two of you happen to gas up, or get gas from the same place?? Might be bad gas...

Just a thought...had a similar issue with my HD. Never thought it could had been bad gas, since I thought my bud gassed up the same. Latter that night, I found out althought we gassed at the same place...I bought 93 octane, he got 87....I added some HEET and all was good.

Burch

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Burch said:
If it were me, Id think about what the two sleds have in common...very unlikley you both have the same "mechanical" issues.

Did the two of you happen to gas up, or get gas from the same place?? Might be bad gas...

Just a thought...had a similar issue with my HD. Never thought it could had been bad gas, since I thought my bud gassed up the same. Latter that night, I found out althought we gassed at the same place...I bought 93 octane, he got 87....I added some HEET and all was good.

Burch
Yes we did! His runs great again, but not mine. but his pick up tube is bad, so he gasses up like all the time lol. so it could have worked through the system already.

Ill try hooking up a small tank I got with some GOOD GAS and see what she does, Thanks for the advice man, You brought up something I never thought of..

BskidooC said:
TriumphoverU said:
Yep could be the fuel pump too.
How could it be the fuel pump???????
Well, If the diaphragm is bad, it could leak through to the other side, And on that other side is the impulse line, So it could flood through there right into the bottom half of the motor.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Not the only reasons. I bought an used indy xlt with a patchwork of parts and found out the the choke cable plungers at the ends of the choke cables were a quarter inch to short. Thus not reaching the bottom of the little chamber in the carberator to stop gas seeping in. There are 2 ways gas gets in. The needle and seat and the choke chamber.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts