Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everbody, New on here so please bear with me. I have a 1989 Polaris Indy trail 488cc. I am changing the track,and I have it all torn down, Got the chaincase out, Suspension, and track. but my drive shaft bearings should be replaced! I have been trying to get my clutch side bearing off for a hour or two. I cant figure out how it comes off! Any one else had this problem? I need advice. Running low on motivation at this point with the problem. Never changed a track, or driveshaft bearings before. Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
First off I would soak it with some PB BLASTER, let it sit overnight, and then see if you can get it to tap off, if still stuck give another dose of PB and let er sit again, if you still can't get the bearing off after that then your gonna have to resort to the good ole TORCH!!!, heat it up good and it should knock right off after all, I usually give the PB Blaster the benefit of the doubt, but when all else fails......[Flame2] put the heat to it.

·
Registered
4,331 Posts
alot of times it comes down to taking a hammer and breaking the outer race of the bearing off then heating the inner and it should slide right off

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's what I was thinking. So when it comes to replacing the bearing. Do they slide right on, or how are they installed?

Thanks, Dan

·
Registered
622 Posts
IDK about using heat on it, but when I have removed mine in the past I use my press and with no use of heat or PB blaster it pops right off with hardly any effort. Plus smooth constant pressure is better than beating your shaft to a pulp with a hammer and fatiguing the metal shaft with heat. Too much heat can scorch the shaft and turn it brittle just m 2 cents...

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Some of those bearings have locking screws which holds the bearing on the shaft. Don't know if you tried this but loosening them will make removal of the bearing easier.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Did you get the driveshaft out yet dan?I was thinking about ways to get that bearing hanger spacer or whatever off and the only thing i can think of is to get a nice strong flathead and hammer that thing in there until it splits off. It has to come off so you can atleast get the driveshaft off. Good luck.

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
when putting the new bearing on rub the shaft very thuroughly with emmory cloth. then the bearing will go right on

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have not. sweet your on here! haha. but I didnt work on it today. might not have time tomorrow. But I'm gonna try! I think the only thing I can do it cut off the hanger. and get a new one. Then I can get the shaft off. Then pull the bearing with a pulley puller? [:D]

Reactions: Vladimir

·
Registered
564 Posts
New on here too, but the pulley puller is a good idea. Also the recommendation of heat is one of my favorites, it hasn't failed me yet. It is a good idea that you are replacing that, My uncle has the same motor, after you replace that your golden for another x amount of miles. They run forever, you l b tired of the sled before it breaks again.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Were you able to remove trhe locking collar? Those older bearing have a eccentric collar that when twisted one way or the other will grab the drive axle and bind really tight to hold the brg in place. The collar should be pointing towards the chaincase side of the sled. If you cant get it off, either cut it off with a grinder/cutoff wheel, or set it on something hard/strong like a vise with the collar being the only thing actually resting on the vise and the brg overhanging the vise and hit the collar with a hammer. couple real good whacks with a ball pein and it should split right in half. Then you can usually tap the brg off.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Update on my Polaris driveshaft bearing, I was able to get it off! Except I had to cut the bearing hanger off. Then pulled out the shaft. and put my small pulley puller on hooked it up onto my impact, and off it goes! Thanks for the advice everyone! Sure helped out the first timer here!

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
glad to hear it went well. thats what we r here for

1 - 14 of 14 Posts