Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a chance to purchase an Indy Triumph for $3200. I know 2000 was the only year they were produced and they are essentially an Xlt SP. It has 641 miles on it. It was purchased in late Oct of 2001 as a new leftover. The problem is it was taken into the shop After a short 1st time out. The dealer found it had a pinched oil line going to 1 cyl. The cyl. and piston were replaced. What about the crank/ bearings? Any worry to that?? I spoke with the mechanic and he said when he pulled it apart , the crank/ bearings looked good so he did not replace them. HE said there would have been no problem replacing them (under warranty) if he thought there would be a problem. The warranty expires at the end of this Oct. I can transfer for $35, but is there an extended warranty that can be purchased??

Thanks,
Ace

TRIPLE-THE ONLY CHOICE!!!!!

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Well the one to speak to on this subject is one of our own moderators TriumphoverU. I KNOW as soon as he sees this thread, he'll give you all the info you want on the Triumph.

I'll leave it at that, and wait for him to comment on this one!

1997 XLT SP 600
"Engage the Mechanism"

·
Registered
948 Posts
Assuming that's a private sale and not through a dealership it is unlikely you'll be able to get any kind of extended warranty. Does the owner have the work order for the piston/cyl replacement? I'd want to see that in writing, personally.
Other than that, sounds like a solid deal. Good luck!

-----------------------------
I think.... therefore I sled
Two '94 Indy XLT SKS

·
Registered
948 Posts
Assuming that's a private sale and not through a dealership it is unlikely you'll be able to get any kind of extended warranty. Does the owner have the work order for the piston/cyl replacement? I'd want to see that in writing, personally.
Other than that, sounds like a solid deal. Good luck!

I think.... therefore I sled
Two '94 Indy XLT SKS

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
Well here i am to give my personal thoughts on this little sled we call the love bug....errrr i mean the Triumph. Personally i Love the sled, had only to rejet the carbs as it was jetted too rich from the factory. Other than that i will tell you that i bought my sled in the fall of 2000 as a year old model. I paid $4,699 + tax + freight and prep ($299). As for the value of the sled your buying i would say that it is basically up to you to decide especially since you now know what it could be bought for at one year old....now the sled you are describing was bought 2 years old so they may have payed even less. I am wondering How short the first time out was? 10 miles or less? any idea? I would imagine that if the bearings were questionable they would have replaced them because polaris would have had to pay the parts and labor costs. Being that the bearings are all roller-type they are not as prone to failure w/o oil like car bearings would be. But there is also that risk that something "may have happened." I would imagine that if the sled has went over 500 miles since the piston failure you should have nothing to worry about. I also think that by telling you that this has happened they themselves are confident that the sled is in good condition, due to the fact that they were very open and honest about the sleds history. But then again thats my opinion. I believe there is an extended warranty that can be purchased but im not sure if that would apply to the second owner or not...i had the option to buy one and declined it. It was really a good deal....you buy the warranty for like im guessing $400 and if you didnt use the warranty at all the $400 was refunded to you at the end of the warranty period. You may be able to buy this type of extend warranty if you transfer the original warranty into your name, but im not sure on that. You should be able to find out from the Dealer. But anyways, like i said to begin with....the sled has performed flawlessly and i have been "customizing" it since i bought it. installed water temp guage, skid plate, hood screen kit, studs, tunnel protectors, colored running board and rad protectors.

If you have any other questions please feel free to ask.

Polaris is my way out - Other people just use a door.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
I being a mechanic would not buy it. 3200 dollars.... is that a good price? A crank rebuild labour and parts will cost over five hundred dollars. But what about the nagging thought in the back of your head. Always wondering when where and if the bearing will crap out. That can take all the joy out of riding your new machine. I suggest to look around for another good deal. you still have lots of time.

·
Registered
11,943 Posts
I would personally buy the machine if I were in your situation. XLT's have been very reliable for me over the years. The dealer replaced all the bad parts and felt that the bearing did not need replacement. I would try get the seller down to $3000 then see if you can get a warranty. Other than that, I say go for it.

Vote for Snowmobile Fanatics.com

·
Registered
134 Posts
i would purchase the sled...tell the guy $2900$ then if he sayes no say $3000$....cant go wrong by starting low and going up...i wouldnt mind taking one for a ride...only polaris i have ridden was a 97 indy 340 trail...i would tell the guy that you might purchase it from to go get the crank and bearings checked out too see for sure if anything is wrong with them...but if he doesnt want to its understandable but i think 3000 or 3100 isnt a bad price for the sled

Duct tape the only real solution

·
Registered
5,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well I bought it for $3100.He has the original sales slip that said $5100 a year ago new with everything including tax along with service papers. The 1st time out was about 2 miles when he fouled a plug. He took it back to dealer to get it looked at and thats when they discovered the oil line problem. The other 500+ miles were put on after evrything was taken care of. For $350 I can purchase the Polaristar extended warranty, which I plan on doing. Talked to 2 dealers in my area and they said "buy it" for that price. The guy said 2 other people in his area were interested and offered $3000. Since I am in Wisconsin and he is in Michigan I felt I had to give him the extra $100 so I could be assured of getting it. Still feel like I got a good deal. I really liked the fact that 2000 was the only year the Triumph was made and it is the last year of the Polaris 600 triple produced, Who knows maybe if I hold on to it for 25 years, it will be a highly sought after collectors item!! LOL

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Hey congrats on the purchase man! Sounds like you got yourself a great sled. Now lets just hope for snow this year!

1997 XLT SP 600
"Engage the Mechanism"

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
Well i think you got a pretty good deal, I espicially wouldnt worry about the bearings after only 2 miles....heck that wasnt even enough time for the oil to burn out that the mechanic put in it for first start up. You have got a great sled there man. I would suspect that you will be greatly satisfied with your purchase. I know I have never regretted buying mine. Take good care of it and it will treat you right. Once again Congrats on the purchase.

Polaris is my way out - Other people just use a door.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Congrats
I also own a Triumph and I think you will be real happy with it. I bought mine last year at this time new. Like Triumph man I had to go down a jet but after that it ran like a demon. The triple gives you awesome midrange power so when you hammer it on the trail it gets up and goes. My only complaint is that it is a bit of a gas guzzler but you have to expect that with 3 carbs. If you set the rear suspension for optimal weight transfer it will easily carry the skis for quit some distance even without studs. Last year drag racing I was easily keeping up with studded 600 xc-sp and even a triple triple pipe cat. Have fun and pray for snow. Let me know if you have any questions. Chris

·
Registered
5,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I was at the Snowmobile USA show in Milwaukee,WI today and saw a Triumph for sale that was a brand new left over. Price on it was $3999.
Thats a helluva deal!

NO FOREST FAIRIES(SKIERs)
BURN GAS SLEDS KICK AZZ!

'00 Indy Triumph
'93 XLT 580
'78 Arctic Cat Jag 3000

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
Man I wish I could find a Triumph for sale locally. I love lightweight triples myself. What suspension do they have? Xtra-12?

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
I would put an M10 or something similar on it... after I could afford the suspension... after I could afford the sled.... after I found the sled...

·
Registered
1 Posts
I also have a Triumph. Bought it brand new in 1999. Have about 2500 miles on it. Had a slight vibration to it. I changed the upper gear in the chain case to a 19 tooth and lost the vibration and gained good low end. Only lost about 5 miles top end. Changed needle position on the carbs and got another 3 miles to the gallon. Thought my 94 XLT was a little faster but I had pipes on it. Hope you enjoy your sled.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts