Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. I am fairly new to working on snowmobiles, and I am currently working on a 1999 Polaris Indy Trail Touring (488cc). The sled had been running on one cylinder since I started it a few weeks ago. I wasn't sure about cleaning the carbs myself (never having done it before), so I took them off and brought them to a Polaris dealer to be cleaned. They told me my main jet was the culprit. When I got it back I put everything back exactly as I had taken it off. I also changed the fuel filter and had drained the old fuel, as well as adding new plugs. Well, it fired right up on the third pull (choked) and was idling perfectly! It hadn't sounded that good in a while... The sled had been in my garage and I drove it outside without any issue where I let it idle for probably 20 minutes. I then went and shut it off with the thought that I would go for a test ride later on. However, when I returned about an hour or so later, the sled would NOT start. I tried everything I could think of including spraying starting fluid in the plug holes, some gas in the plug holes, new plugs, checking to make sure my gas lines were not pinched anywhere, kill switch, etc. I checked for spark and that was fine. I pulled the fuel lines off at the pump and carbs and there was no issue with fuel getting to the fuel pump or from the pump to the carbs. There was no gas leaking out anywhere that I could see. It seems like there isn't any gas getting to the plugs... every time I looked in the plug holes it seemed overly dry (sometimes the plugs were mildly moist, but I think it was from the starting fluid/gas I was putting in). I'm not really sure what else to try since both starting fluid and gas directly in the plug holes didn't seem to make a difference. It's so weird since it idled beautifully for 20 minutes! Perhaps I wasn't putting enough gas in the plug holes?? Any help or suggestions would be appreciated!

·
Registered
384 Posts
Well not sure what your problem is, but here is a suggestion to try. Take the plugs out and with the choke off and ignition off pull the sled over about 30 times. Look and see if you're getting any gas vapor from the plug holes. Now put the plugs back in, ignition on , no choke and pull it over another 10 times, see if it fires at all. If it does or doen't, put full choke on and pull another 10 times. You don't have to pull the plugs now you cans pray some starting fluid directly into the air box and pull it over 1/2 dozen times. You can also dump about a shot glass full of fuel in the airbox. My son had a Polaris race sled and it would never start without dumping some fuel in the air box after it had been sitting.

The only similar problem I've run into was on late 90's Polaris XLT' and XCR 600 triples. When they sat for awhile they would flood and have to have the drain plugs unscrewed from the bottom off the crankcase and drained. But have never run across that on the 488 twin. One friend with an XLT finally put a new fluel pump on and never had the crankcase flood again. I had a 488 Trail Indy for my wife. Her only complaint with hers was it wasn't fast enough.

You have described your situation very well and what you have tried. I compliment you on the details.

I hope my suggestions help but I also am puzzled.I always scratch my head when I see guys just pulling and pulling with no success. But they never change what they are doing, choke off, coke on, no throttle, little throttle, full throttle etc etc .

Just get somebody that is fresh to pull until they become tired. You never mentioned checking the compression. If you don't have a gage and will be working with sleds it i a good investment. Oh and if you haven't bled your oil line to make sure you're pumping oil do it

Good luck and MERRY Christmas.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts