1 - 20 of 103 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
can this be a good sled for trails?
obviously im going to have to adjust the shocks

i want to do occasional small jumps and off trail

how would this sled be for trail riding in the great state of Wisconsin?

·
Registered
3,194 Posts
its gonna be no cadillac. but the ergos of the sled will not let you down. designed to be as close to a race sled as possible, while keeping some trail characteristics, ive never ridden one but im sure they go down the trail like any other polaris, and thats a good thing.

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
When I sat on one, I could tell right away I would not like it on the trails. But, then again, I'm only 5' 7". Different strokes for different folks. Its just like any other race sled IMO ( except the rider positioning ).

·
Registered
23 Posts
I know someone that had one for a year and he liked it but cornering he thought was too top heavy. He went back to his 04 Pro XR and for him it is the best. I guess everyone has their own taste.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
im a taller guy a 6'2"
i can see where it would feel to top heavy
would a stabilizer bar help this
i sold my XR as it didnt have the walkers
right now i have a apex, but got to ride it a little this past weekend and theres deffinatly a noticable weight
would it drive a lot different as to say a dragon?

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
Bigz said:
im a taller guy a 6'2"
i can see where it would feel to top heavy
would a stabilizer bar help this
i sold my XR as it didnt have the walkers
right now i have a apex, but got to ride it a little this past weekend and theres deffinatly a noticable weight
would it drive a lot different as to say a dragon?
For one, why wouldnt you just buy a set of walker evans for it?

Anyways. Dragons are trail designed machines. I think the only similarities are somewhat similar a-arms and somewhat similar rear skid. Most of the machine is different. They have a short ( as in not tall, not talking about like a shorty seat ) seat, and tall handle bar setup. They also sit very high off the ground.

·
Registered
3,194 Posts
everyone who gets on an IQ chassis, the first thing they say is they feel like its tippy.. i thought so myself until i figured out any one ive ever rode including mine they grip the grain and are not tippy at all. just have to get used to riding with a different center of gravity.

a dragon would be way more trail friendly, i for one am not a huge fan of the walker evans, they are expensive to rebuild i hear, which is why they dont exist on my dads anymore. heard better things of the fox floats.

your height should not be an issue on a IQ at all. im 5'8" on a good day. i fit on the sleds just fine, logged a piss ton of miles on those machines (not the iqr) and i dont get sore or feel worn out even after a 200 mile day.

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
Bmxican said:
everyone who gets on an IQ chassis, the first thing they say is they feel like its tippy.. i thought so myself until i figured out any one ive ever rode including mine they grip the grain and are not tippy at all. just have to get used to riding with a different center of gravity.

a dragon would be way more trail friendly, i for one am not a huge fan of the walker evans, they are expensive to rebuild i hear, which is why they dont exist on my dads anymore. heard better things of the fox floats.

your height should not be an issue on a IQ at all. im 5'8" on a good day. i fit on the sleds just fine, logged a piss ton of miles on those machines (not the iqr) and i dont get sore or feel worn out even after a 200 mile day.
The IQ and IQr are a completely different machine. It's like comparing an 04' Firecat to an 04' SnoPro 440 IMO ( except that the Polaris IQ is rider forward as well )

·
Registered
3,194 Posts
sledcrusher said:
Bmxican said:

The IQ and IQr are a completely different machine. It's like comparing an 04' Firecat to an 04' SnoPro 440 IMO ( except that the Polaris IQ is rider forward as well )
only ridden one iq racer once. my buddy had an 05, as far as them being a totally different machines, im not sure ide say that completely, i was riding a fusion 600 at the time, and i jumped off mine and on his and i could tell i difference, mostly in the way of my brain telling me this slightly different, much more stiff, felt slightly taller, but had no direct effect on how i could corner the sled in anyway. suspension bucked me around a couple times. i guess its been a few years since so i may be off my rocker

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
so basically its just about getting used to how the iqrs handle?
as of right now, i can ride the edge real good, and am a little worried if i can keep up in the tight woods trails around here. its a mix of woods and open fields, and along roads, so i dont know what to do. my apex is just to heavy i think for the riding i do. its hard to say, as i havent gotten a real good amount of snow to truley test out the apex. plus the handwarmers suck dic*

·
Registered
3,194 Posts
Bigz said:
so basically its just about getting used to how the iqrs handle?
as of right now, i can ride the edge real good, and am a little worried if i can keep up in the tight woods trails around here. its a mix of woods and open fields, and along roads, so i dont know what to do. my apex is just to heavy i think for the riding i do. its hard to say, as i havent gotten a real good amount of snow to truley test out the apex. plus the handwarmers suck dic*
yeah i know how you feel about the weight, i put 6,000 miles on my switch back fst and thats a heavy sled, not as heavy as yours but close. but besides the weight, i can ride the sled just as well as a two stroke iq

if your looking for a more diverse sled, and some comfort, i would opt for a dragon over an iqr.

i came off a wedge polaris to an iq. i skipped the rest lol, and it was a learning curve in my riding for sure. but definitely for the better.

·
Registered
848 Posts
I came off an edge chassis to the IQ, it just feels like the IQ really digs itself in for traction on the front end. I heard something about adjustable camber/caster on the IQ chassis a while ago too. I don't have a studded track, but I can only imagine how well it would handle with them. I rode a 136 studded 700 edge before my IQ a bit, and that was way tippier than the IQ. My vote would be for an IQ, I don't have much experience with the IQr, however I believe you'd be more comfortable and avoid some headaches w/ an IQ.

·
Registered
271 Posts
I've only ridden my iqr a few times so far coming from a edge chassis with a boss seat and so far they dont feel too different other than steering effort on the iqr is alot more stiff than the edge

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
Gp800 said:
I've only ridden my iqr a few times so far coming from a edge chassis with a boss seat and so far they dont feel too different other than steering effort on the iqr is alot more stiff than the edge
I think you're the first person I've ever seen say a rider forward machine feels like a non-rider forward style. I cant stand riding an edge chassis standing up anymore after being on a Rev or Fusion.

·
Registered
4,299 Posts
For tight winding trails go get a consumer IQ. The IQr/IQrr's were built to be racers and ditchbangers. Trying to keep the sled from rolling over in the corners is really going to slow you down unless you ride like you're on a race track and cut the corners, but if you do that on a trail you're most likely going to hit an oncoming sled.

I rarely ever ride trails, basically only ride them as far as I need to to get to a good spot offtrail, and I wanted something light and nimble that could handle a beating, the IQr is a good fit for that. If I were to ride trails 90% of the time I would have gotten a dragon or other consumer IQ and then saved for a Rush.

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
Bmxican said:
its gonna be no cadillac. but the ergos of the sled will not let you down. designed to be as close to a race sled as possible, while keeping some trail characteristics, ive never ridden one but im sure they go down the trail like any other polaris, and thats a good thing.
Just need to get your chassis names right. An IQ is the general Polaris chassis, like the Dragon. The IQR is the race chassis. The IQRR is a Race Replica (RR) produced only in 2008 model year line. Came 'trail ready'.

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
sledcrusher said:
Gp800 said:
I think you're the first person I've ever seen say a rider forward machine feels like a non-rider forward style. I cant stand riding an edge chassis standing up anymore after being on a Rev or Fusion.
He said he had an edge with a boss seat. So he was in a seating position like a new sled. My gen 2 with the rmk iq seat feels like I'm riding a newer sled. The right set up sled with a tall seat feels like a newer sled. As far as I'm concerned my sled is rider forward now.

·
Registered
8,108 Posts
IRQ is not a very good tight windy trail sled. That is all there is to it. It is the one thing it does not do well.

1 - 20 of 103 Posts