Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I just got my new IQR and already have a lot that i would like to learn. I also know that there are quite a few people with IQRs now. So here it is. Anyway my first thing i'd like to tackle is hooking up the reverse. I know I need a different helix, and need to wire in a switch. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Other than that I wish this thread good luck and let's hope it prospers because Lord knows i will have million questions.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
welcome to the IQR fam :p ok first ? what motor do you have? you will need a new cdi, a new wireing harness etc,, i belive this is why guys go to consumer motors, and not the race motors. i am going to keep my 600R motor in it a deal w/ no reverse, LOTS less money..

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
O yeah I should have mentioned the motor is out of an 06 fusion and it's the H.O. The harness and everything is good to go for perc, I am more or less looking for what wire to splice into and any other pointers people might have.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Polaristhewayout said:
O yeah I should have mentioned the motor is out of an 06 fusion and it's the H.O. The harness and everything is good to go for perc, I am more or less looking for what wire to splice into and any other pointers people might have.
new left hand switch and cdi should do the trick for you, there should be a wire in your wires going to your handlebars that should plug into you new left hand switch (if your CDI isnt already for perc)

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hmmmmmm, from what i understand I need to wire in a switch and splice it into a wire in the harness.I didn't think I would need a cdi.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
IF im wrong and your trying to run PERC reverse,, that atcually runs the motor in reverse.. which means you would need a new CDI, now if your cdi was already setup for perc it would just be a switch and wire setup along w/ helix.. but if its not I BELIEVE you would need a new cdi

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
bj.hardy said:
IF im wrong and your trying to run PERC reverse,, that atcually runs the motor in reverse.. which means you would need a new CDI[/color=red], now if your cdi was already setup for perc it would just be a switch and wire setup along w/ helix.. but if its not I BELIEVE you would need a new cdi

It is a consumer motor but i believe it came from the factory with reverse, so everything should be there.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Polaristhewayout said:
bj.hardy said:
IF im wrong and your trying to run PERC reverse,, that atcually runs the motor in reverse.. which means you would need a new CDI[/color=red], now if your cdi was already setup for perc it would just be a switch and wire setup along w/ helix.. but if its not I BELIEVE you would need a new cdi

It is a consumer motor but i believe it came from the factory with reverse, so everything should be there.

Yes PERC is the consumer reverse. Almost all non racing sleds that come from polaris have PERC standard on them, I believe this started in 04, so yes you should just need to wire it, but check to make sure ur cdi is perc, it shouldn't be to hard there are serial numbers on the boxes, you can cross refrence to an fusion owners manuel,

Polaristhewayout said:
bj.hardy said:

Yes PERC is the consumer reverse. Almost all non racing sleds that come from polaris have PERC standard on them, I believe this started in 04, so yes you should just need to wire it, but check to make sure ur cdi is perc, it shouldn't be to hard there are serial numbers on the boxes, you can cross refrence to an fusion owners manuel,

·
Super Moderator
11,279 Posts
Do you still have the dragon button? That is what I used as my perc button,if you do connect one of the wires (it doesn't matter which one) to the brown chassis wire. The same brown wire that goes to the voltage regulator. The other wire coming from the dragon button connects to the gray wire in the purple plug. Push the button and it should reverse.

·
Registered
4,331 Posts
if you have the stock fusion cdi you should just be able to buy either a dragon button or a perc button from like a pro x or something along those lines and there should be an open plug in the harness by the bars to plug into

·
Registered
4,299 Posts
Make sure you look up the part number on your oil pump to see if it is a reversible pump. If it's not a rev pump, when you run your sled in reverse the pump won't be working.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
powersledder said:
Make sure you look up the part number on your oil pump to see if it is a reversible pump. If it's not a rev pump, when you run your sled in reverse the pump won't be working.
I will have to check that. And RMK-King I don't have the dragon button, I was thinking I would just buy a kill switch from RSI and use that.

·
Registered
787 Posts
powersledder said:

Would it really matter if it didn't oil in reverse. I can't imagine a reason why anyone would reverse for more than a couple seconds. Just a thought.

I'll be the first to put up pics of my sled on the new IQr thread.

2006 IQr 600 conversion

201041118715550_17651.jpg

201041118859222_17651.jpg

201041118827488_17651.jpg

201041118926879_17651.jpg

201041118753550_17651.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Viper17 said:
powersledder said:

Would it really matter if it didn't oil in reverse. I can't imagine a reason why anyone would reverse for more than a couple seconds. Just a thought.

I'll be the first to put up pics of my sled on the new IQr thread.

2006 IQr 600 conversion

201041118715550_17651.jpg

201041118859222_17651.jpg

201041118827488_17651.jpg [/color=red]

201041118926879_17651.jpg

201041118753550_17651.jpg

no oil pump no oil, if someone jumped on ur sled an forgot to take ur reverse off... bye bye motor

where did he get the snow-flap from?

·
Registered
787 Posts
Since its pretty easy to hook up the reverse I would just hook up a light on the dash so that it was obvious when the motor was in reverse. That way there is no confusion and you wouldn't have to worry about the reversible oil pump. Maybe not the safest way to do it but thats what I'd do

Not sure where the flap is from. Its in perfect shape but I'm not sure if I'm going to keep it since it will just get ruined anyway. I might end up selling it and making my own.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Viper17 said:
Since its pretty easy to hook up the reverse I would just hook up a light on the dash so that it was obvious when the motor was in reverse. That way there is no confusion and you wouldn't have to worry about the reversible oil pump. Maybe not the safest way to do it but thats what I'd do

Not sure where the flap is from. Its in perfect shape but I'm not sure if I'm going to keep it since it will just get ruined anyway. I might end up selling it and making my own.

let me know if you do, id be intrested.

·
Registered
4,299 Posts
Viper17 said:
powersledder said:

YES! Running your engine and non-reversible pump in reverse would run your sled dry of oil, the oil is used very slowly but it would still create a "dry spot" every time you used reverse. So if you used it often enough it would cause bearing failure, do you really want to take that risk?

As concerning snowflaps, take a note from The_Hog, go to Napa and get a truck mudflap that you can cut down to size, they work great for only about $10. I mean it, PM The_Hog and tell him your are going to use a truck mudflap for a snowflap because you think he is awesome.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Where can i find hood straps like that powersledder? I think I am going to take off the hinge and just unhook the wires going to my hood so I can just take the hood off. I know a guy with that setup and it was pretty slick, but I would definately need some hood straps.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Thats my plan, to use a mudflap off a semi. I had one on my last IQr and it worked awesome and held up to anything.

·
Registered
4,299 Posts
Polaristhewayout said:
Where can i find hood straps like that powersledder? I think I am going to take off the hinge and just unhook the wires going to my hood so I can just take the hood off. I know a guy with that setup and it was pretty slick, but I would definately need some hood straps.
Look on ebay for hood straps, they're the stock indy style ones.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts