Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone seen the vidios on the polaris wed site?They make some pretty good points like the rideing position, suspesion and alot of other stuff. And has anyone seen the preditor?that thing kicks ass! and so does the msx. I thought polaris was gettin kinda sleepy but this new stuff proves me wrong. the reason they havent come out with new sled as eary as the other guys is because there not just throwin them together and the 2004 sled prove that.

94 polaris XLT SKS
decker pipes
board over
and some other crap

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Polaris is back in the game?? I must have missed something because i dident know that they left.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
HAHAHA in the video, they show how many parts there are for a mechanical reverse...For the PERT all they show is a little yellow button! lol Thats funny.

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
electronic reverse still has all those parts just not the mechanical lever. If anything I bet PERT has more cause I am sure it won't let you shift into reverse above a certain RPM and other stuff.

·
Registered
22 Posts
If i remember correctly then PERC works by making the engine rotate in the other direction. Thus it doesn´t need any mechanical parts in the chaincase.

--
Hjortur

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
really? thats interesting. I need to learn about this, I mean that has to mess with clutch weights, well I guess its not like your racing and engaging them that fast or anything. Quick shifting would be impossible because the sled would ahve to almost wind down to 0 RPMs to reverse.

·
Registered
33 Posts
did anyone watch the vidio on the liberty engine, i thiught there were some very funny parts in the vidio, where the guys pull out the rist pin on the skidoo motor and all the pins fell out. also where they talk about the oil pump frive gear, i have never heard of one of the skidoo ons failing. and i thoung those groves cut in the single ring piston were for oil not thermo expansion. i think it is funny how poalris thinks skidoo is there big thread and try to put down parts in the motor that have little affect, i think they put the caged beering in so when the polaris guys need to change there pistons its a lot easier for then to do, becasue we know that they always have to cahnge them

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
the reverse "perc is the same as ski-doo's "rer" they got it from ski-doo in a settlement over patent issues. and no, there are no extra parts in the chaincase. its done by actually spinning the motor in reverse rotation. the clutch secondary is the only difference on rer or perc sleds..

·
Registered
31 Posts
Just like dgerlach55033 said, if you've ever seen a Ski-doo for example w/ the electronic reverse work, you'd be amazed. A mechanic told me that the electronic reverse weighs ounces in total, all it does is shut off the motor and when the pistons hit TDC it restarts but backwards, thus you will go backwards. No extra mechanical parts to worry about,

Patrick

·
Registered
155 Posts
I have a Ski-Doo 600 Rev. There are no extra parts for the reverse feature. Previous replies are correct. It stops the engine completely and then it runs in reverse. The only problem...you go just as fast in reverse as in forward. You have to be real careful. I busted my chops on the wind shield the first time I reversed it out of my truck and onto a snow bank. It is an awesome addition with negligable to no added wieght. I also like the forward seating/riding position. It is makes moving this thing around a breeze. [:D]

·
Registered
31 Posts
I've heard about the being able to go that fast in reverse, sorta scary. Anyway I'm wondering if you have to wait to get to idle for the electronic reverse's to work correctly? Anyone know?

Patrick

·
Registered
11,943 Posts
One thing that they had to try work out was to get the oil pump to pump in reverse. I don't think it is good to reverse for long periods of time, I am not srue how the engine gets oil, or if they did figure it out.

It's times like this I love my cable internet. [:D]

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
the rer does have to be below a certain rpm before hitting the button will actuate the reverse. i laughed when i heard about smacking your head on the windshield. thought i was the only one that clever. ha-ha
i wonder if they have drags in reverse-my money is on ski-doo---j/k

·
Registered
18 Posts
Something was said about adding some sort of pin (reverse rotation stop) to stop the belt from running to the bottom of the secondary. I do know you need a special bolt in order to remove the belt.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Originally posted by mxz700
[br]Just like dgerlach55033 said, if you've ever seen a Ski-doo for example w/ the electronic reverse work, you'd be amazed. A mechanic told me that the electronic reverse weighs ounces in total, all it does is shut off the motor and when the pistons hit TDC it restarts but backwards, thus you will go backwards. No extra mechanical parts to worry about,

Patrick
I dunno, I still found it pretty funny when the polaris guy held up a 1 inch plastic button, and said thats its! lol...

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
the belt removes just like the tra clutch- either heave the sheave open or use that little tool they give which does screw into the outside of the secondary to spread the sheaves. just be careful using that, i've seen the threads ripped off the shaft, she's a little on the light duty side...

·
Registered
33 Posts
you need to get the kind they have in the shops, they work a lot better, i have a 2inch diameter turning dial on the end and a hardened threaded rod

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
you have to wait till idle to shift into reverse on any sled. I would love to see someone try and throw it in reverse while a clutch is engaged, awesome awy to blow apart a chaincase.

·
Registered
11,943 Posts
Lol, that button was funny. Some of those engineers were not very good on camera. [:)]

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Originally posted by erick
[br]Lol, that button was funny. Some of those engineers were not very good on camera. [:)]
NO KIDDING!! That one guy talking about trailing arms couldn't even speak proper formal english! Geesh!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts