Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
whats your thoughts on polaris's switchback, pro x2, and the limited edition pro xr

http://snowmobiles.polarisindustries.com/product/family.asp?ContentID=04SNOUPER#

·
Registered
11,943 Posts
I love them...I LOVE that sled on that page there, I really want one!

·
Super Moderator
11,279 Posts
How do u see that they are coping ski-doo??

·
Administrator
13,095 Posts
Originally posted by Michael Pelletier
[br]looks like polaris is attempting to copy ski-doo designs.
100% correct.

Oh wait, there is nothing on any of those machines that is close to what a ski doo is like.

The only similarities = PERC and RER are the same thing. Other than that... I couldn't tell ya.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
those are some pretty cool looking rides. hope they perform as good.. i'm not touching the "copying ski-doo" comment, thats like ringin' the bell for round 1 j/k

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ski doo sort of in a way had that type of design in the 1999 cross country edition,http://www.skidoo.com/SkiDoo2003/web/jsp/100_mainPage.jsp?Params=N.US.299.0#, but polaris had their early evolved head light going by year 97,http://adcache.cycletrader.com/5/0/8/43038808.htm, so you may be right, but im just sayin that i think polaris had it going first
Originally posted by Michael Pelletier
[br]looks like polaris is attempting to copy ski-doo designs.

·
Registered
614 Posts
The Pro-x-r 600 is one of my choices for next year. I've got a month to decide.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
well i believe that the pro xr is only a limited time, thats why its only in 800, but it would be pretty sweet if they do keep it around, and make it a 600

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
[:0]
Originally posted by Jokester886
[br]whats your thoughts on polaris's switchback, pro x2, and the limited edition pro xr

http://snowmobiles.polarisindustries.com/product/family.asp?ContentID=04SNOUPER#
Hey your right look at that that seat,its a nut buster.[xx(]but the rest of the sled looks COOOOLL![8D][;)]

·
Registered
15 Posts
I wonder if that seat on the X2's would fit on a 03' X. The 03' Pro X race sleds had them and they kinda look cool.

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
Originally posted by Jokester886
[br]whats your thoughts on polaris's switchback, pro x2, and the limited edition pro xr

I have alot to say about them. I got to sit on all the models and scope them out just last weekend at the 2004 Preview in MN. Not only that but i got a chance to talk to Matt Lube, a Production Manager for Polaris who was also seen on last weeks' Monster Garage. Let me say one thing first; this guy is extremely knowledgable!

I think the Switchback is a great idea. Of course, the biggest change to it is the name. Why did they change it from the SKS? I asked Matt. Simple!...it draws attention! It is a marketing plan that Polaris thought out to help sell a model that is normally not as popular. It's purely a business decision. The color of the machine was actually going to be red, but yellow is more striking.

The 800 Pro XR snow check only model is wicked cool and race ready. However, for $9999 USD i personally would not buy it. You'd be better off buying a used 2003 440 race chassis and dropping in a 800 twin for nearly half the price. And it's the same thing! Don't get it confused with the X2 chassis. The X2 and XR have different chassis parts, even though they look the same. I lifted the 800 XR and it is noticeably lighter than the X2. Also, the Polaris rep told me that they are planning on adding a ceramic coated exhaust pipe to this year's 800 XR to further reduce weight and add performance. If you do snocross, then this sled is for you. It even comes with the torsion bar removed.

My sled of choice would be the black 600 Pro X2. The X2 seat is softer, 2" lower, and the handlebar steering shaft is 3" closer to you than the 800 XR, which makes the X2 waaaaaaay more comfortable! When i sat on the 800 XR, even my tall 6'-1" figure had to reach FAR to grasp the handlebars. It was uncomfortable to sit on, and for good reason....it's stand-up ONLY. I would not want to trail-ride this thing. Snowcross only. Therefore i would not buy that particular model. However, the X2 felt GREAT to sit and stand on. It's a nice compromise of both positions. I want one!!! Considering also that the 600 X2 costs $1000 less than the 800 X2.

Another Polaris Rep told me that the seats on all Pro X are interchangable! No mods. You could easily take your '04 Pro X2 and switch seats with a '04 standard Pro X. So you can sit high or low.

All Pro X, RMK, and XC models (except the 800 XR) get PERC reverse as standard equipment for those who are unaware of that. The Rep told me that PERC is also programmable. Meaning that if you accidentally hold the button too long, it will re-program itself for different elevations according to the flashing light codes on the dash. The service manual tells you which setting is indicated. Apperently, some RMK test riders accidentally re-programmed their PERC without knowing it, causing the reverse to work erradically. The correct way to operate PERC is to keep the throttle at idle and simply push the button once and it will do it's thing. Don't hold it.

One thing that really impressed me was all the luxury features that the 2-up Touring models have. The front and rear seats are SUPER soft, they feel like GEL, and the rear back rest has adjustable lumbar and lots of storage space under the seat. Of course, PERC and DET make the 800 Touring really sweet.

The RMK models are what you would expect. One thing that i noticed was just how light weight the Vertical Escape is. Also, the seats i think changed slightly and have great support.

There is one thing that i know we will be hearing alot of complaints about: ...and that is the adjustable seat option on the Classic models. They are wobbly! It moves side to side like it's missing a screw....except that it's not. It fits loose and looks as though it might fall off. The good thing is that they appear to be made with strong materials, but i think it should have tighter tolerances. If you take them off, then you look at a big hole underneath which is the storage.

I know there are many other changes on all these models, but i just wanted to point out a few of the things that i would not have noticed by simply reading there website. Just my first impressions.

Oh yeah.
I asked them what to expect next year and all he would say is that it will be special because of the 50th anniversary. I also asked if there will be a 900 twin, and he said "definitelly not." There are no plans to build anything bigger than an 800 twin in the next year.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
changing the sks's name to switchback was a great idea, cause before, i never paid attention the sks, I will be now!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts