Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, i have gone through 4 polaris sleds, and they all have been bad to me. i need a new sled now and i am thinking of a 03 04 05 06 ski doo rev ,mxz,mxzx, 440 race trail converted. if anyone has these sleds let me know about them. i want opinions on some polaris and skidoo and how they are to you. i dont want a cat fight here, just some opinions, and PS: i do not beat my sleds. thanks for any suggestions you might have!

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
Gotta love the rev chassis. Still my favorite chassis as far as handling goes. Stay away from the 03 REV's, everything else should be fair game. Dont know much on the 440s so have to get that information from someone else.
This site has a high concentration of polaris fans so your gonna get a lot of suggestions to stay with poo. Just keep skidoo on your mind, rev chassis is fun and dead reliable.

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
There are tons of reliable Polaris sleds, but you can't really compare rider-foreward to non rider foreward, and if I remember right then since doo came out with the rider foreward style first, it won't cost you as much to go for one of the older ones. Stay away from the earlier 800's though.

·
Registered
591 Posts
The rev chassis is good, 440's do not have a very long life span, compared to the 597 (500ss) or 600cc motors. Most non fuel injected sled can go about 7,000 miles before a topend is required.

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
wakeboarderboy said:
There are tons of reliable Polaris sleds, but you can't really compare rider-foreward to non rider foreward, and if I remember right then since doo came out with the rider foreward style first, it won't cost you as much to go for one of the older ones. Stay away from the earlier 800's though.
What early 800? The first 800 to be in the rev? Great motor if the pto side seal cover update was done. Cant go wrong.

·
Registered
271 Posts
i think there is only one way really to decide which sled is best for you. look at price, what you want, and your riding style and riding area, because asking brand over another brand you will always get biased opinions.

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
Here's how I'd do it: 2004-2005 mxzx(race chassis) that's been well looked over and is in good shape, preferably non-raced. Then you have a few motor choices: 500ss, 600 ho, 600 sdi, and the 800 ho motor. All of these should go in with little trouble. I personally would go with either the 600 ho motor or the sdi as I can still use it as a terrain racer. The sdi motor will give you better fuel Economy/ oil consumption. However they are more picky with upgrades, but are pretty darn bullet proof. You may need to play with clutching/gearing to get it at it's best. In a nut shell that's a 440x/600x conversion.

·
Registered
848 Posts
What kind of riding do you do? (where, trail, off-trail, etc.)

REV isn't a bad chassis. And because it was mass produced from 2003 it is affordable. Definitely takes some getting used to.

·
Registered
558 Posts
I love my polaris but I had the opprotunity to ride a rev 550f once and wow it was smooth. The rider forward postion is GREAT! I recomend a rev but I will alwasy ride polaris...like stated above depends on the kind of riding you do.

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
Bames said:

REV isn't a bad chassis. And because it was mass produced from 2003 it is affordable. [highlight=yellow]Definitely takes some getting used to.[/highlight=yellow]
POLARISDOMINATOR said:
I love my polaris but I had the opprotunity to ride a rev 550f once and wow it was smooth. The rider forward postion is GREAT! I recomend a rev but I will alwasy ride polaris...like stated above depends on the kind of riding you do.
I'm not going to saw the REV chassis is bad, but it's not for everyone. I have rode a couple of them and they had good power, but couldn't stand the "rider forward" lean. I also know a couple of others that really didn't like them either. BUT I know a couple of people that just love them. If you are interested in the Rev, find someone that will let you ride it and decide for yourself if it's what you like.

I may get bashed for this, but to all those who say the Rev will out handle most other sleds, way wrong!!

·
Registered
718 Posts
it's all about rider preference. how you ride your sled. i've ridden yamahas, revs, rev xp's, iq's, i own two edge's, didn't ride any cats tho since there's hardly some around here. the older revs are rider forward yes, but that's not for me. didn't get comfy with the style. the xp's tho they are pretty comfy. out of all these, i thought the iq's were the best handling and the most comfy, other than my edge touring. i just love the telepathic feel of the iq's. my dad owns a 2007 iq six and i just love it! reminds me of my edge x 8 but handles way better.

edit-those yamahas just felt top heavy and tipsy imo. apex's are speed demons. scary fast!

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
Hangman said:
Bames said:

REV isn't a bad chassis. And because it was mass produced from 2003 it is affordable. [highlight=yellow]Definitely takes some getting used to.[/highlight=yellow]
POLARISDOMINATOR said:
I'm not going to saw the REV chassis is bad, but it's not for everyone. I have rode a couple of them and they had good power, but couldn't stand the "rider forward" lean. I also know a couple of others that really didn't like them either. BUT I know a couple of people that just love them. If you are interested in the Rev, find someone that will let you ride it and decide for yourself if it's what you like.

I may get bashed for this, but to all those who say the Rev will out handle most other sleds, way wrong!!
Not bashing here, dont take this the wrong way. You cant just jump on a rev and love it coming from an old chassis. Takes getting used to. Need some seat time.

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
When you buy used you might end up with a great sled or you will end up with someone else's junk. Buy new or buy low miles for the best results, the IQ chassis rocks. A good used consumer Rev would be an improvement as well over any older chassis. Racer chassis sleds are alot different than consumer versions as well, don't expect them to be your ticket to freedom and happiness.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
thanks for all the info, and for whoever asked, i have a 1995 polaris xlt 600, 1998 polaris indy storm 800, and a 2001 polaris xcsp 600.

·
Registered
718 Posts
some are lucky with their snowmachines. where as others have 'runts' i've seen some people get those 'runts'. problem after problem. the only problems i've been having with my 800 is that it's just getting old. need to rebuild this and that. some things just don't last forever. but material stuff can be replaced.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts