Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need a primary for my '97 Indy 500 SKS, would any P-85 primary work?? I'm checking in Ebay for a clutch and I've seen ones for 440's, 500s, 600s, 700s etc.. and for XLT's, XCR's XCSP's etc... Would a primary for a Liberty fit a Fugi engine?? How do I tell which would fit my engine, I don't want to buy one only to find out later it doesn't fit.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
make sure your p-85 is from the fuji, they will all work given theyre set up properly. a clutch from the liberty or domestic twin will not work. ill look tonite i know i have a bunch sitting somewhere.

·
Registered
15,722 Posts
I have been stating this for awhile and noone beleived me.
The other ones will work but the taper is shorter, so it doesn't seat as well as it should.

·
Registered
520 Posts
The offset is different on some P85's most will fit but change the offset to the secondary.You may run into problem where you cant shim your secondary over far enough to line up to the drive. Look at the after market Comet clutch book they show you the different offsets. Best find 1 off a 500 Fuji.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Originally posted by bigwedgies
[br]make sure your p-85 is from the fuji, they will all work given theyre set up properly. a clutch from the liberty or domestic twin will not work. ill look tonite i know i have a bunch sitting somewhere.
I have been stating this for awhile and noone beleived me.
Hey thanks guys.. didn't think any clutches from the Liberty engines would fit on my Fugi engine, glad to hear I'm not the only one who thinks this way. Bought one on Ebay and waiting for it to come in now.

I want to do a test and see if these Fugi engines are really 'bulletproof' (like I stated before in a previous post) and am not going to rebuild the engine before I put on the new clutch on[:0][:0]. (see http://www.snowmobilefanatics.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=58783). I wanna see first hand if my "extra effort to remove the clutch" (see below) did any damage to the engine.

After I got the remains of the broke primary off I took a hammer to the broken shaft, and after that didn't work, I took a 3 1/2# axe-head to the broken clutch shaft. I wasn't wailing on it, just hitting it with an moderate swing from a sitting position on the ground next to the motor, was hitting with the hammer then the axe head. I ended up getting it off by applying heat to the clutch shaft with a propane torch and 'tapping' it with my hammer twice. My plan is to put the 'new' clutch on and run the sled like nothing happened.

I will certainly post the end results after the end of the season, or when it goes tit's up. I guess this decision goes back to my "miserly" ego.. I wanna save as much money as I can while still getting my wife's sled running. FOR SURE IF IT WAS MINE, I WOULD DO EVERYTHING TO GET IT RUNNING, COST BE DAMNED!!!!!!! Just kidding [;)][;)].

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
take a dial indicator and check the run out on the crank before you put on a clutch.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Is there a difference between a fuji fan primary and a fuji liquid primary? I read in another post that there was a boss on the back of the fan primary that would hit the crank sealon a triple,but I don't see a difference side by side... But maybe I don't know what to look for. Can some one tell me?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts