Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When my brother took it out riding it ran fine for about thirty minutes then it started boging down when he pushed the throttle so he took the plugs out and replaced them and it worked for about five minitues and it did it again could it be a set of bad plugs? Before he changed the plugs you could start it but it would just die right after it started, but when he put the new plugs in it started right back up then started doing the same thing after he rode it.

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
Did he change them because they were fouled? Theres a number of things this could be. Are you sure the motor not overheating and hes giving it the cool down time when he changes the plugs?

Whats he premixing to?
Whats his jetting and what temperature is he running it at?
Is the sled overheating?

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
He changed them because he wanted to see if that was the problem but after he changed them it ran fine for a few minutes then it died and wouldn't stay started again. he let it cool down for twenty-thirty minutes and he's premixing at 32:1 and he doesn't know the jetting because he just bought it two days ago and the guy cleaned the carbs for him so he could hear it run so he hasn't taken the carbs apart yet.

·
Registered
15,722 Posts
I would bet money that the jetting is way off for the temps your seeing.

·
Registered
15,722 Posts
most 440's are finicky on jetting. A 10* change can start plug issues. What year is the sled? I only have specs for a 03'

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
I'm sorry, but if hes changing spark plugs and has no reason for changing them, he should either start doing a lot of research about working on snowmobiles or get rid of his 440 race sled. People change their spark plugs when the plugs have a problem, whether they're fouled, or broken or whatever. There's a reason things go wrong and you have to diagnose why.

When he changed the plugs, were they wet? What color were they? Was there carbon buildup on them?

·
Registered
3,304 Posts
sledcrusher said:
I'm sorry, but if hes changing spark plugs and has no reason for changing them, he should either start doing a lot of research about working on snowmobiles or get rid of his 440 race sled. People change their spark plugs when the plugs have a problem, whether they're fouled, or broken or whatever. There's a reason things go wrong and you have to diagnose why.

When he changed the plugs, were they wet? What color were they? Was there carbon buildup on them?
read the post he changed them cause it wasnt running right... normal place to start....

jetting sounds off for temp, or the carbs werent as clean as the dude he got it from said.. re-clean carbs do some jet test and adjust...

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
they were a brown color on the tip so they looked ok but he changed them because he thought he fouled them and the jets in it are 200 are those ones ok.

·
Administrator
13,095 Posts
sledcrusher said:
I'm sorry, but if hes changing spark plugs and has no reason for changing them, he should either start doing a lot of research about working on snowmobiles or get rid of his 440 race sled.
Look at captain intelligence giving advice. As if you're one to be giving this guy hell and ripping on him for having a 440 race sled.

A sled that's not running right, everyone changes plugs initially. That's a very very common place to start. Also if he changed plugs and it ran fine, then progressively got worse it sounds like it's running too rich. Nobody in their right mind is going to lean out their carb without changing a set of plugs first...

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
Polaris-Man said:
sledcrusher said:
I'm sorry, but if hes changing spark plugs and has no reason for changing them, he should either start doing a lot of research about working on snowmobiles or get rid of his 440 race sled.
Look at captain intelligence giving advice. As if you're one to be giving this guy hell and ripping on him for having a 440 race sled.

A sled that's not running right, everyone changes plugs initially. That's a very very common place to start. Also if he changed plugs and it ran fine, then progressively got worse it sounds like it's running too rich. Nobody in their right mind is going to lean out their carb without changing a set of plugs first...
Well, he wrote that the plugs were brown. Brown is good. I'm not trying to act smart in any way, just giving the help I can.

My idea was that the sled could possibly be over heating. When he thinks its the plugs and changes them, during this time the machine cools down. He rides a little longer and it overheats again.

·
Registered
3,304 Posts
polarisrider98 said:
they were a brown color on the tip so they looked ok but he changed them because he thought he fouled them and the jets in it are 200 are those ones ok.
no one can tell yo what jets to run with out running the sled you need to do this on your own or have someone do it.. to many variables for a over the internet fix on jetting.

·
Administrator
13,095 Posts
sledcrusher said:
Well, he wrote that the plugs were brown. Brown is good. I'm not trying to act smart in any way, just giving the help I can.
He wrote the plugs were brown after your smartass reply buddy...

·
Registered
5,011 Posts
sledcrusher said:

He should start doing a lot of research??? PFFFT! You're the retard who has to ask how to send a money order to canada[Disappointed]

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
sledneck1978 said:
sledcrusher said:

He should start doing a lot of research??? PFFFT! You're the [highlight=red]retard [/highlight=red]who has to ask how to send a money order to canada[Disappointed]
one of those priceless momments in life [thumb]

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
my brother has another question could it be running crappy because of the timing dial is off its set on B would that be where it should be?

·
Registered
373 Posts
Depends on what type of gas,and the head.
Dial should be on E for pump fuel, B is not good for pump fuel. Adjust this asap! You may have damaged a piston running around on B. Try to find out what heads are installed.

1. Compression test.
2. Make sure the coolant is moving, take the cap off the bottle and watch or just feel the hose's.
3. Clean the carbs.
4. update us.
5. Have your brother read up on the 04's (hcs has a nice 440 section with lots of reading)

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
high octane heads are installed it has 115 compression in both cylinders, cleaned the carbs today, and i'll have him check to see if the coolant is moving and thanks for the info.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts