Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2001 polaris rmk 700 and i have replaced the pull cord 6 times this season. I was wondering if anybody out there has had the same problem? It seems to fray and break. The gnot is not pulling through. Yesterday it broke and my sled kept overheating.I am going to take it apart today and try and figure out what is the problem.[V][V][V]

·
Registered
50 Posts
Nope. I have an '03 SKS 700 (which is an RMK with a few different options) and I had electric start installed for that exact reason. I've watched too many people break the rope on the 700 and bigger sleds. Usually this happens only when its very cold. If this isn't the case, check your rope guides.

Also, don't be going out and buying rope from the hardware store. Its not strong enough. Get it from your dealer.

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Check the path of the rope all the way from the handle down to the recoil. It may be rubbing on something, which is causing the fray.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I pulled my recoil apart and when the rope broke it whent into my water pump belt and broke that also. That explains the overheating. The motor looks like it is okay. I ordered a belt from a aftermarket company for $10 instead of $63 from a dealer. I still do not know what to do about the pull cord breaking. I have checked and made sure that it is not rubbimg on anything and it looks okay. Anybody out therer have any suggestions? [V][V][V][V]It is sunny today and i can not go sledding because i am waiting for a part.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Is your rope fraying in the same area each time or is it the entire length? Do you keep it straight when pulling? many people have a tendacy to pull up which can cause fraying.

·
Registered
975 Posts
I just fixed another Polaris for a guy yesterday and his rope kept breaking. Problem was that where the rope goes down to the motor there's a little bracket and it has a plastic O-ring in it and it got a little burr on it and it was snagging on it. Just enough to cause the rope to break every 6 or 7 pulls. Could not feel it when pulling it. Never know, could be something as simple as that. Like Tfin stated, I think you'll find it's catching on that. Good luck and keep us posted.......Mark

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks so much for your responses. I replaced the plastic o ring already. The rope breaks inside the pull cord mechanism. It seems to break while i am driving because it does not break when i am pulling on it. I will pull over and shut off my machine and look down and the pull cord is hanging down broken.[V][V][V][V]

·
Registered
50 Posts
I wonder if your recoil is hanging up on the crank shaft and spinning the wrong way (which would break your rope)?

What else would break it while riding?

·
Registered
172 Posts
If your rope is breaking as you're riding, then obviously there's something wrong with the way your recoil was put back together... I've seen recoils put back together incorrectly where the small springs that go on the dogs were not in the right position, so that the dogs were free to move outwards. Is it possible your dogs are kicking out as your engine is running, catching, and breaking the rope? I'd double check that everything is put back together right, something is amiss inside there.

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
If your rope breaks while riding out on the trail and you've got no electric start, then wrap another rope or strap around the primary clutch and pull it. Works the same, except that it won't recoil back obviously. If you didn't bring a spare rope with, then either use whats left over from your torn pull cord, or remove the strings from your shoe laces and tie them together to make one long cord and then pull start it using the wrap-the-clutch method. I've even seen people kick the clutch using the heel of thier foot to start it, but you'd have to be pretty lucky. It's not exactly safe, but if it's your only option, then it's a good thing to keep in mind. I just thought I'd share some tips.

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
Originally posted by NightTrain
[br]If your rope is breaking as you're riding, then obviously there's something wrong...small springs that go on the dogs were not in the right position, so that the dogs were free to move outwards.
This would be my guess too.
Where does it break, near handle, or closer to the rewind?
I'd pull her all apart and have a look at it.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Originally posted by MegaMan
[br] I've even seen people kick the clutch using the heel of thier foot to start it,
I would love see that on an episode of the Red Green show. I can picture an ancient round nose Ski-Doo Oly firing to life and Red heading off into the bush.

·
Registered
13 Posts
What a terrible feeling it is to pull start your sled and the rope come right out of the machine.[:0] Thank GOD the sled started and it was the end of the weekend ride[}:)]! (I hate dickin around with the reserve stap in the tool kit..especially at night with no flashlight and it is -10)
I heard/read somewhere that Polaris upgraded the 02 800xcsp to a cable rather then a rope.. true or false? If true, I assume this cable will also work on a 2001. If false, is there somethine better/stonger I can replace it with?
I guess I would never expect a 2 year old start rope to break... Any suggestions or comment are appreciated.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
My Dads '76 Polaris Electra (18" wide track...what a tank..lol) has a cable, and it's original.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Back when I was a kid, we lived out in the boonies and Dad had a '73 Yamaha 338. That was by far the most unreliable sled I've ever seen. It had a Tillotson carb on it, and standard prodedure for starting it was pulling it a couple hundred times. Naturally, the recoil rope broke frequently with that kind of abuse. Finally, my Dad put a cable on it, and it lasted forever, but there was a drawback : the cable acted like a hacksaw and ate through all the guides, and even into the recoil cover itself. The plastic coating on the cable only lasted for a short time, and it really tore things up. I imagine they've got better coatings for cables these days, though. I would definitely keep an eye on things if you do put cable in for a pull cord.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thank's for all of everybodies suggestions. I purchased another belt for my water pump and put the pull cord mechanism back together and went for another test ride. The Temp light came on 5 klicks up the trail and my rope broke again on my pull cord. I threw gas on my sled and lit a match and burned it to the ground. Just kidding but that is what i felt like doing. My friend towed it down and i whent to my buddies shop "Sick Sleds" in whistler and pulled it apart again. The recoil broke got stuck in the water pump and broke my belt. I ordered another $63 belt the next day.
I pulled the pull cord mechanism out of the snowmobile and installed the new belt today. I will clutch start it untill i can get down to the polaris dealer in Langley and see if they can figure it out.It must be something to do with the mechanism itself. I have missed a week of blue skies and all time sledding because of this. Oh well sledding is a love and hate relationship.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts