Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to the site, and the hobby. Just picked up a 90 indy 500 that had been sitting for a few years(half tank of fuel). the sled is in great shape other than the storage issue. what steps should I take to bring it back to life. all help is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
First drain the old fuel out. Was the sled sitting inside or out because that can mean alot when replacing parts. Clean the carbs for sure, make sure all adjustments are properly made to the carbs. Grease everything. Check chaincase fluid, probably better off replacing the fluid. Make sure everything else works, such as switches and other odds and ends. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
6,184 Posts
Drain all fuel and replace with new fuel. Give carbs and fuel pump a very thorough cleaning. Grease all zerks in front and rear suspension, check all wheels for free moving bearings. Replace fuel filter and plugs and fire her up. May want to change chaincase oil too.

Do a search for carb cleaning and youll find a nice step by step guide with pictures on how to do it. Someone else may want to add a couple things ive forgotten.

·
Registered
6,184 Posts
Also check exhaust and airbox for any little critters that may have made nests or stored things inside.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Cmon its an indy 500! add some new fuel to the existing, shot of ether, and away you go. those sleds are damn reliable!
but seriously, agreed check everything over good, for critters, rusted up parts, basically everything everyone else said. but mine sat in a barn for 2 years, and it started on the same gas, drove it out and to the trails!. had the same plugs in it for 3 years.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts