Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does anyone know how the different aftermarket helixes improve performance...what profile would work best for aggressive trial riding?[maroon][/maroon]

·
Registered
277 Posts
Many, many factors determine what helix is best for you. Do you want more upshifting, more backshifting, both, is your sled stock, modified, how much do you weight, what type of riding do you do most. Find out what your stock helix is and then you can take it from there. For aggressive trail riding you may want a slightly faster upshift but with faster backshifting, for when your on and off the throttle in the turns. The differance in performance from the coated helixs to the non coated ones are minimal if super hard and slippery buttons are used. I have tried both style and found I could not feel the differance. Some companies have a smooth progressive surface on the helix and some like erlandson have a stepped design where you can actually see where the angle changes. I like both, but some people may not. Personal preferance. Call an aftermarket helix company and tell them what you are looking for and they will be more than happy to help you out.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Most older polaris are 36 degrees. A good all round helix for a hundred hp and up sled is a tri angle helix of 44, 40, 36. this is an example. there are many combos.

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
Progressive helix anlges usually work a bit better than just a straight cut, but that depends on how well you set it up.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts