Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just was looking through the site and thought that this was kinda wierd... I know that warranties can not become void if you use a certain type of oil, but why would they even try and pull that one on some one?

from polarisindustries.com...
"CAUTION: Engine warranty coverage may become void if other brands are substituted."

·
Registered
11,943 Posts
Because they don't want to take a chance that someone will pick up oil in which they do not know what is in it, or that they want to increase sales. It is natural for any company to want to increase sales so if they can get people to buy thier oil by doing this, then I do not see anything wrong with it.

·
Super Moderator
11,272 Posts
nicley said^^

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yeah but it is a complete crock.

If there bullshitting you there how can you trust the next thing they say?

·
Super Moderator
11,272 Posts
because people have bought their sleds and have never had any false information problems..nothing id be to concerned about..

·
Registered
11,943 Posts
Look, you know you can use other oil, so use it. Some people would just rather put trust in the company that built the sled, and make sure they get thier warranty rather than screw around with different brands of oil. If you had an accesory to something you sold wouldn't you want customers to buy from you rather than someplace else?

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm not concerned. I just dont think its something they should be posting on there site when they no that holds no grounds...

Its not worth arguing over I'm just pointing it out...

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
erick I know what your saying but saying that they recommend that you use there oil would be alot better then huge false claims...

·
Registered
11,943 Posts
What's false about it? They may not really warranty your machine if you do not use thier oil, and if they find out you have not used thier oil when you machine is in the shop, they can most likely retract the warranty.

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Originally posted by erick
[br]What's false about it? They may not really warranty your machine if you do not use thier oil, and if they find out you have not used thier oil when you machine is in the shop, they can most likely retract the warranty.
But that's just it. They can not leagally do this.

The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act is the federal law that governs consumer product warranties. Passed by Congress in 1975, the Act requires manufacturers and sellers of consumer products to provide consumers with detailed information about warranty coverage. In addition, it affects both the rights of consumers and the obligations of warrantors under written warranties.

Here's a link to the act which describes it in detail:

http://www.mlmlaw.com/library/guides/ftc/warranties/undermag.htm

·
Registered
11,943 Posts
Well this is something new I learned. Still, the disclaimer on the site holds the word "may". It is there just to scare people and probably wouldn't hold ground in a court of law; however, like I have stated before, if they can get more people to buy thier oil, they will.

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
[br]however, like I have stated before, if they can get more people to buy thier oil, they will.
I agree with ya 100% there bud! [^]

·
Registered
821 Posts
its pretty simple they just want you to buy there oil. I bet ski doo...arctic cat...and whoever else have sumtin the smae as that written somewhere. I doubt they would ever check what kind of oil or revoke the warenty. They just want the money from the oil in there pocket...they know your going to buy oil and they want you to buy theres.

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
it doesnt matter, because if it blows up because of carb problems it isnt covered, if it blows up because of exhaust problems it isnt covered, anything other than a piston cracking is pretty much not covered. thats why they dont care if you pipe it or not,

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Originally posted by madcow
[br]it doesnt matter, because if it blows up because of carb problems it isnt covered, if it blows up because of exhaust problems it isnt covered, anything other than a piston cracking is pretty much not covered. thats why they dont care if you pipe it or not,
Not sure what you have to deal with where you live madcow, but here in the north east, when you buy a new sled, everything is covered under warranty (assuming of course its still stock). Everything except "wear items" like carbides, etc. If the engine goes because of "stock" carb problems, its covered, if it blows because of "stock" pipe issues, its covered, etc, etc.

·
Super Moderator
11,272 Posts
^^^same here, its under a full warrenty so they replace any thing that breaks that shouldnt during normal riding..

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Originally posted by Tfin70
[br]
[br]What's false about it? They may not really warranty your machine if you do not use thier oil, and if they find out you have not used thier oil when you machine is in the shop, they can most likely retract the warranty.
But that's just it. They can not leagally do this.

The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act is the federal law that governs consumer product warranties. Passed by Congress in 1975, the Act requires manufacturers and sellers of consumer products to provide consumers with detailed information about warranty coverage. In addition, it affects both the rights of consumers and the obligations of warrantors under written warranties.

Here's a link to the act which describes it in detail:

http://www.mlmlaw.com/library/guides/ftc/warranties/undermag.htm
Thanks Tfin... This was the whole reason I posted this, not to start arguements, or bash polaris.... just to show you some thing I thought was a little misleading...

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Originally posted by SledHead
Thanks Tfin... This was the whole reason I posted this, not to start arguements, or bash polaris.... just to show you some thing I thought was a little misleading...
[;)]

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
You know SledHead you're growing up into a very reasonable young man. I like to think the guys on this forum had something to do with that, but you probably just have good parents.[;)]

1 - 20 of 32 Posts