Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The speedo on my 90 Polaris Trail wasn't working properly. Already replaced the pin that was broken but after 10 minutes of riding it busted again. I don't think the cable is seized so why isn't it working?

·
Registered
44 Posts
You replaced the pin under the secondary?? The whole unit that the pin slides into might be siezed. Just changed one of my buddies...was $68 Cdn (I think). Easy fix.

Take it off, put something in and try to spin it. Should spin fairly easy. That'll tell you if she's finished.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thats probably it. I have to check the to see if the cable is seized first. Of course its probably not the cable because it only a $15 part, I'm sure it will be the more expensive drive unit.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Of course its probably not the cable because it only a $15 part, I'm sure it will be the more expensive drive unit.
That's the way it usually works....might as well change the rings while you're at it! he, he, he...[:D][:p][:D]

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah actually they were the first ones I tried. The pin is $2.25, the cable $14.95 but no listing on the drive unit.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Was the speedometer working for the 10 min before the pin broke? Had same problem with wifes jag and it was caused by the bearings going bad on the drive unit.Just replaced the bearings (easy to do and cheap) and no problems since. Dont know if there is any difference in this area of sled between a Polaris and A/C but it might be worth looking into.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I had the same problem with my 93 AC 550 EXT. I was breaking pins all the time and what was causing them to break was the bearing was going out. As the bearing gets wornen you get slop around the shaft and that will cause the pins to break. My wife was driving it when the bearing gave out, thank goodness that she was only going about 5 mph beacuse the drive shaft came out and locked the track. Next time you replace the pin pull the spedo assy off and check the bearing. When my went it took the whole drive shaft with it, had to replace the drive shaft, bearing, and spedo assy.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Sorry did not read the post right before mine. Could this be a problem with AC?

·
Registered
83 Posts
I had the same problem with my Yamaha . i found the head was Seized .New head $500.00 willson to cheap took it apart Wd40 hour and ahalf later free
and working good . Lower angle gear seized New $125
to much took it apart cleaned and lubed with teflon grease, Glued the caps back with 2part epoxy.Still working 1200km later .Its already broke so if you screw it up whats the difference.

·
Registered
9,619 Posts
i dotn know bout ur polaris, but on my PS i know that the speedometer is on the end of the shaft that drives the track, and if that bearing goes it will keep on snappin that lil pin if im thinkin of the same thing, if the speedometer things are the same, cuz the shaftw ill get play in it and just keep on breaking it, i would check the bearing on it and see what it looks like, if its breakin the pin, and the bearing is bad, the shaft is prolly gettin bad too

1 - 12 of 12 Posts