Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
827 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I decided to jump into doing my own clutch work with both feet. I bought a rebuild kit and new weights and bushings for my 96 Ultra primary clutch. Also invested in some Polaris clutch tools as I have 3 sleds with the same clutch. My question is - are there some tricks to installing the new buttons into the spider? They seem like they go in fairly tight and according to the instructions you need to install them and measure the clearance between the towers so you can install the shims. How do you install them and remove them without damaging the new buttons? Any help is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
827 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well, I got the buttons installed. I took a sharp utility knife and cut back the sharp edges on the holes in the spider and cleaned up any rough spots with a scotchbrite. The new buttons were enough to tighten up the spider between the towers so I didn't have to remove them to shim. Clutch is back together and installed, it seems to work good on the stand. Not sure if I will get to ride it this year, have some other work to do.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
SLP makes a tool to remove the buttons that works great. If you are going to do clutch work this tool is something you will need.

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
You can also use a set of nippers (horizontal side cutters) to pull them out. I believe the SLP tool mentioned above is actually similar. Having all the right tools to do clutch work is well worth the $$$. Makes life a ton easier.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts