Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been looking for an ultra for a while now and I came across a good deal on a '94 storm. It's got the 800 motor with factory pipes. I'm just wondering what everyones thoughts were on the motor. My idea was to get an ultra and pipe clutch and maybe reed it but what about the storm engine. I'e heard they share the same bottom end and come stock with 145 hp? So is it just easier to go with this motor that already has the big power, or is a built up 680 still the better choice for reasons that I'm missing?

Daver

·
Registered
9,987 Posts
The storm and ultra are completely different motors, they are not built on the same base as you heard.

The 94 storm was about a 135 hp sled (the 96 & 97 were in the 145 range), you can replace the jugs with newer nikasil jugs if they haven't been already, and gain several more.

Both motors have their advantages. But if you're seriously into power mods, the ultra base has more parts available.

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
depends on the price if its a good buy or not?
the storm engine can make great power and is a wonderfull big bore sled to build off of.

in stock form they can be made to be sneaky fast with not much work. gear it down, put in some aggressive clutching, set the heads down, advance timing, silicone the exhaust joints and jet accordingly, that will make that old bird sing.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well the add says "runs, needs tlc, comes with extra parts motor" The one pic of it looks good from what I can see but the price is only $300. I'm not afraid to put work into it so I'm figuring even if I want the 680, I could get this platform for cheap now and add it later.

·
Registered
9,987 Posts
Sounds like a pretty good deal to me.. And a lot of fun for the buck..

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
300 bucks, get an edge skid tossed in there with a good used track, fix the engine up to good running stock, clutching, gearing, and you would have a good sled.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts