Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys! Just picked up a set of used Polaris .375 torsion springs for $25 and one of the short arms is slightly bowed up-see pic. Is this something that will flatten out over time with weight of the suspension + rider 20104210716120_29391.jpg
? Not sure how it got that way:)

Thanks!

Mark

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
Previous owner ran the crap outa those springs, and did it on worn out sliders/spring cups. Good luck with those, keep spares handy if you run them.

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
PusherMan said:
Hey guys! Just picked up a set of used Polaris .375 torsion springs for $25 and one of the short arms is slightly bowed up-see pic. Is this something that will flatten out over time with weight of the suspension + rider 20104210716120_29391.jpg

Thanks!

Mark
You are in need of square torsion springs? I will check the garage, might have some that I took off my '99 SKS700, went to heavier springs

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
polaris1man said:
PusherMan said:

Thanks!

Mark
You are in need of square torsion springs? I will check the garage, might have some that I took off my '99 SKS700, went to heavier springs
Maybe I guess....part#7041942 and 1943-SQ/77 degree? I picked these up used because I have about 5 1/2 inches of sag currently with #225 front track shock spring and rear stock torsions on stiffest setting. I'm about 270 all geared up and I figured bumping up to next level springs-even used would get me to 5 inches or under for sag...

Attachments

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
PusherMan said:
polaris1man said:
PusherMan said:

Thanks!

Mark
Maybe I guess....part#7041942 and 1943-SQ/77 degree? I picked these up used because I have about 5 1/2 inches of sag currently with #225 front track shock spring and rear stock torsions on stiffest setting. I'm about 270 all geared up and I figured bumping up to next level springs-even used would get me to 5 inches or under for sag...
Ummmn dude, what are you putting these springs on? I went to the Euro touring springs on my '99 SKS700, and that was the ticket, excellent ride

Attachments

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
There is supposed to be a slight bend in the long arm, and the angle of the camera is showing it more on the one spring. I don't think that's a concern.

The concern I see is what myvertxcape is seeing--The bottom of the long arm is worn out from bad or missing rollers. Both springs show it.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The springs are for my 07 switchback...which to my surprise come with fairly soft torsion springs standard at .359/77SQ...You can type in the part# I gave you on the polaris website and it will give you all the year/models that came with it.....Any questions dude?
Hey JD-
The bend isn't with the long arms...one of the short arms that goes on the cam blocks was slightly bent upwards about 1/4 inch. I took it to a welding shop today and had them put into a press and we flattened it out to be about the same as the other one. Now I've got them cleaned/painted and will be installing tonight hopefully. How can you tell they are shot other than sag? If they hold up pretty well on the softest cam setting am I good to go? Judging by how hard it was to bend that metal-I can't see it just snapping...It's pretty strong....

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
Look at them closely, you can see on the long arm that they are worn where they sit on the plastic rollers on the rails. Good luck with them, your sled.

And yes, Polaris puts on junk, soft torsion springs on all their sleds as of the past 10 years! Groomed trail riders like them like that, lol. Not real world riders.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Vert Man....I plan on bringing it and singing it!!! Keep in mind that weather and trail conditions down here in Minnesota are much different and probably kinder on our snowmobiles than Alaska if that's correct on your profile. I do mostly trail riding with occasional trips into play areas soooo we'll see I guess... I did notice that the metal was worn in a little bit but like I said before have you ever had one break or heard of that? Plus I'm not crazy about spending $160 more for another inch of ride height so these are worth a shot I guess:)

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
PusherMan said:
The bend isn't with the long arms...one of the short arms that goes on the cam blocks was slightly bent upwards about 1/4 inch. I took it to a welding shop today and had them put into a press and we flattened it out to be about the same as the other one.
I see what you are talking about, now. When you pressed the spring back into shape, you changed the properties of the steel at that point. Not sure I would use that spring. Do you see the wear that myvertxcape and I are talking about?

myvertxcape said:
And yes, Polaris puts on junk, soft torsion springs on all their sleds as of the past 10 years! Groomed trail riders like them like that, lol. Not real world riders.
I think of myself as a real-world rider, and I put SOFTER springs on my sled. If you like stiffer springs, change them out. If you like different shock valving, change it. If you like louder exhaust, change it. If you like a taller windshield, put one on. If you don't like the stock graphics, take them off. The stock sleds can only please the average rider. Until they start offering spring options from the factory, you'll be stuck with what the average rider wants.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for your input JD. I'm 6-2, 270lbs so I'm sure Polaris didn't have me in mind when designing their suspension set up. However, you can probably guess why I don't want to go "softer" otherwise my butt is riding on the track! I guess the search will go on for better quality springs. I really don't want to pay $160 for new springs-that's outrageous. What's interesting to me is the variation in responses to the same question I posed on this site and hardcoresledder.com....Most of the guys on that site haven't said not to use these...in fact the opposite...and I trust the info I get on that site as well-probably more because I have found more info there about sleds 2005 and newer than on this site.

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
My point was not that YOU should have softer springs. It was that SOME PEOPLE want softer springs. Soft does not equal junk. But, yes, .375 should be better than .359 for you on that sled.

As far as quality, no cheap aftermarket spring will equal the quality of an OEM Polaris spring.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well....the search goes on....I didn't notice much improvement with the .375's installed till on the mid/high adjuster block settings. I'm now looking for some 47 degree SQ OEM springs that came with 02-05 Rmk's vs sticking with the 77 degree SQ's. I hear that's the ticket:) One things for sure...I'm getting pretty good at taking the suspension apart!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts