Snowmobile Fanatics banner

21 - 40 of 1402 Posts

·
Registered
599 Posts
HI guys I am new to this forum. I have a 1996 polaris indy storm 800. Does any one know what I can do to tweek this thing out a little.I ride with a buddy that has a 2001 700 mxz and I am doing all I can to keep up. I was thinking about gearing but I don't want to loose all of my top end , that is all I have in that thing

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
Originally posted by 800storm
[br]HI guys I am new to this forum. I have a 1996 polaris indy storm 800. Does any one know what I can do to tweek this thing out a little.I ride with a buddy that has a 2001 700 mxz and I am doing all I can to keep up. I was thinking about gearing but I don't want to loose all of my top end , that is all I have in that thing
1:pipes
2:clutching
3:jetting
4:performance track (studs and lightweight)

·
Registered
3,304 Posts
Originally posted by Polaris500H.O.
[br]Max Factory rpm is 8000 +-200rpm so between 7800 and 8200. Idle for the 580 is 1900, 650 is 2100.
wow i did not know it was posed to idle that high, i may have to play with mine a bit too, thanks

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
Originally posted by slamdry
[br]wow so you think me turning like 9400 is a bad thing??
It depends, if you are stock, you waste the rpm\hp ratio reving the engine that high. With AAENpipes I think the best rpm is 9400. Heres some old treads I found for ya. One member told that he's running 10000 rpm and up[:0] its crazy[}:)] Hope it helps!

http://www.snowmobilefanatics.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=62945&SearchTerms=650,max,rpm

http://www.snowmobilefanatics.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=41762&SearchTerms=650,max,rpm

http://www.snowmobilefanatics.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=39378&SearchTerms=650,max,rpm

·
Registered
3,304 Posts
wow ok i thought i was high but apperently im right in the ball park, im not stock by any means the only thing left stock i think are the heads and bore only because it hasnt poped yet and i cant see tearing apart a good motor [:D] thanks!!

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
Originally posted by matthewgb
[br]My 650 after completly warmed up will idle around 1000 rpm, know wonder I was fouling plugs! I will have to adjust the idle speed screws..thanks!
Idle speed have nothing in relation with fooling plugs issues... If you are fooling plugs at idle, you are jet too rich at idle. Did you have a bog when you try to quick launch from a dead stop? Maybe the pilot jet is too fat. Mine run at 1000-1250 at idle, and try to keep it here as it makes a huge difference for gas consumption.

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
[br]wow ok i thought i was high but apperently im right in the ball park, im not stock by any means the only thing left stock i think are the heads and bore only because it hasnt poped yet and i cant see tearing apart a good motor [:D] thanks!!
Ok you are not stock, but you should still know at what RPM the engine pull the more hp, where is the exactly RPM you should running the sled at! What kind of pipe you have?

·
Registered
3,304 Posts
i'm turning around 9400-9500,i have slp tripple pipes with the slp can now, but i just got a diffent can that is three different chambers to let it breath a little better, and my carbs are flat slides now, the ufo's turn a dish slide into a flat slide.

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
[br]i'm turning around 9400-9500,i have slp tripple pipes with the slp can now, but i just got a diffent can that is three different chambers to let it breath a little better, and my carbs are flat slides now, the ufo's turn a dish slide into a flat slide.
WOW, seem that you have a good set up![;)] The thing should fly like a rocket[:p]

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Would putting chain case oil in the crank case fix the bearing problems on the xlt's?

·
Registered
3,304 Posts
Originally posted by STEVE650
[br]
[br]i'm turning around 9400-9500,i have slp tripple pipes with the slp can now, but i just got a diffent can that is three different chambers to let it breath a little better, and my carbs are flat slides now, the ufo's turn a dish slide into a flat slide.
WOW, seem that you have a good set up![;)] The thing should fly like a rocket[:p]
it screams, yesterday i was out and in my travels i found apond with a bunch of folks playing and well some werent very happy that there brand new shiney machines were getting SPANKED by mi lil antique [:D]

·
Registered
3,304 Posts
Originally posted by Clouse2411
[br]Would putting chain case oil in the crank case fix the bearing problems on the xlt's?
i dont know if that would help, but on the newer xlt motors there is a oil line for the main bearing on the clutch end, if you could find a way to set that up on yours it may help.

·
Registered
6,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Originally posted by Sno-X-treme
[br]Ditch those stock roundslide carbs. I just put flatside racks from a Mach Z and it turned the sled into a completely new animal. Instant throttle response!
I know your not kidding i have flatslides on my triumph(came stock) they are sweet

·
Registered
599 Posts
[br]try to find a set of the newer plastic skis too, they are alot lighter then the stock steel skis.
I already have plastic skis.The clutch in gauges @ 3800 rpms ? goood or bad ? I have new light wait track 1 1/4 Will gearing help? and how much of diff. does pipes make?

·
Registered
599 Posts
[br]try to find a set of the newer plastic skis too, they are alot lighter then the stock steel skis.
I already have plastic skis.The clutch in gauges @ 3800 rpms ? goood or bad ? I have new light wait track 1 1/4 Will gearing help? and how much of diff. does pipes make?

·
Registered
599 Posts
Originally posted by STEVE650
[br]
Originally posted by 800storm
[br]HI guys I am new to this forum. I have a 1996 polaris indy storm 800. Does any one know what I can do to tweek this thing out a little.I ride with a buddy that has a 2001 700 mxz and I am doing all I can to keep up. I was thinking about gearing but I don't want to loose all of my top end , that is all I have in that thing
1:pipes
2:clutching
3:jetting
4:performance track (studs and lightweight)
jetting?do you know what size would be the best?clutch 3800rpms ?pipes what kind?track 1 1/4 , I did with the plastic skis?

21 - 40 of 1402 Posts