Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
like many know i am purchasing a 02-03 xcsp 800. i have went and looked at a couple but they dont have the bearing updates done and one had low compression plus they are asking to much (5000-5500). but i am on the hunt still. anyways i am planing to pipe it, clutch it and do some head work or just buy the heads somewhere. but what are trail friendly pipes that i can use on the xcsp 800 that will not attract the trail police to much. i am looking for twins but i will settle for a single if i have to due to sound levels. so if you guys have any suggestion and/or sounds clips i would appreciate it.

i have looked into a bunch for prices and all but i have no idea what they sound like. as stated i need trail friendly pipes.

2002-2003 XC SP EDGE X 800

EXHAUST

CPI TWINS- $500

HOT SEAT TWINS- $509
SINGLE- $389

HTG TWINS- $595

LRM TWINS- ???????????????
SINGLE-??????????????

SLP TWINS- $750 +24HP
SINGLE- $460 +13HP

AAEN TWINS- $689 +12HP/- 15LBS
SINGLE- $389 +6HP/- 20 LBS

DYNPORT TWINS- $555 +12HP

PSI TWINS- $555

let me know what pipes.

thanks nik

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
dont bother with twins on the 800 unless you get the slp tough boy bearing kit. even the updated bearing from polaris is not meant to take over 155hp. so if your going to put twins on you will be really close to that mark. slp kit is good for close to 200hp. and as for pipes stick with a single unless you spend more time in the 80mph - 100pmh area while riding. you basically give up low end power for alot more up top. i have a single and sled pulls hard with no complaints from me.

cheers

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i will do the slp tough boy kit. and i do ride in the 80-100 mph area anyways. so your saying i will lose bottom end for top end? i plan to get 1-2 teeth lower anyway will this make up for that.

·
Registered
90 Posts
anything louder than stock will give the trail police reason to investigate but can't open the hood unless you give them premission to look under the hood
just to let you know

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well here there aren't many but i like to keep a stock look and sound, because i never open my hood, lol. never will a trail police open my hood either. but i heard slp isn't to loud compared to stock.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
yeah, if you're planning on going with twin pipes you should definately consider all of this first. the big thing is going to be the sound. i don't have a clip for you, but the pipes i just put on my sled are pretty loud. noticeably louder than the single i had on there. i'll probably feel like a tool pulling into certain areas on my trip next week.

as far as giving up low end, i really wouldn't worry about that too much. and i'd say if you do it, try it before you drop teeth on that top gear. my little accident this weekend should show you that it will pull pretty damn hard with the stock gears.

on a dyno graph the power is just as high or higher in the useable RPM range. meaning that probably at 3k-4k rpms the single might make as much or more horsepower but over 5krpms the twins make more. and with the clutching the engagement isn't even until 5k rpms.

and of course the bearing upgrade should be done when you're talking about making twin pipe kind of power.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
by the way, as far as sound SLP will most likely be the most quiet. they pride themselves on being the industry leader in quiet exhaust. which is cool.

and by the way, refusing to let a cop inspect under your hood is silly. it's the same with a car. if they have reasonable cause they can do what they want. if you don't think they actually have reasonable cause, they'll come up with something. if you refuse a cop in a situation like that, you're gonna end up with the short end of the stick one way or another. it's always best to be compliant in such a situation. if you run loud exhaust in a sound level controlled area, you're taking a gamble and you should be ready to suck it up if you get caught.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks customized89trail, not what i wanted to hear but its true. i kinda figured the twins would be louder. and as for your low end torque accident, it must be killer still with tye stock gear. how you feeling man? well i will have to wait for a Sound clip from your sled and then i will decide. i unno, but i am all about power, sound, speed and how fast my sled gets to top speed. i have the drag racing blood in me, lol.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Originally posted by Customized89Trail
[br]by the way, as far as sound SLP will most likely be the most quiet. they pride themselves on being the industry leader in quiet exhaust. which is cool.

and by the way, refusing to let a cop inspect under your hood is silly. it's the same with a car. if they have reasonable cause they can do what they want. if you don't think they actually have reasonable cause, they'll come up with something. if you refuse a cop in a situation like that, you're gonna end up with the short end of the stick one way or another. it's always best to be compliant in such a situation. if you run loud exhaust in a sound level controlled area, you're taking a gamble and you should be ready to suck it up if you get caught.
well putting it that way i would feel like a dink, and i would have to let them inspect.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
i'm with you man, i love going fast. if i'm feeling up to it i'll go out and start the thing briefly to get a piece of video for you tonight. otherwise i'll do it tomorrow. one thing you'll have to consider is whether or not you need heads to run the twin pipes. i had to put heads on mine to run low altitude without high octane gas. just another expense. you should feel how hard this thing is to pull over now. people complain about the stock 800s being hard, stock is nothing compared to this.

the whole side of my head hurts. muscles in my neck are sore. discovered a big bruise on the back of my shoulder, didn't even realize anything hit my shoulder lol. just working out the logistics of getting the sled ready for next week. i go to the doctor tomorrow for a checkup on my head. thanks for askin! lol

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Originally posted by Customized89Trail
[br]i'm with you man, i love going fast. if i'm feeling up to it i'll go out and start the thing briefly to get a piece of video for you tonight. otherwise i'll do it tomorrow. one thing you'll have to consider is whether or not you need heads to run the twin pipes. i had to put heads on mine to run low altitude without high octane gas. just another expense. you should feel how hard this thing is to pull over now. people complain about the stock 800s being hard, stock is nothing compared to this.

the whole side of my head hurts. muscles in my neck are sore. discovered a big bruise on the back of my shoulder, didn't even realize anything hit my shoulder lol. just working out the logistics of getting the sled ready for next week. i go to the doctor tomorrow for a checkup on my head. thanks for askin! lol
well take your time and be easy to it. i have had 11 staples in my head and boy the head sure does bleed bad. ecually kinda in the same place you have them. my old dog jumped on me and i fell and smashed my head on the corner of the wood molding. but thanks for the clip and dont go and blow your head up just to get the clip for me. have you put a helmet on to see how the head feels with it on, when are you leaving on your trip? get well soon bro.

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
get LRM pipes.. my friend has them on his ultra and with some port work milled heads ect.ect. he's claiming about 140-150hp. not to mention they put out a noticable amount more hp then slp pipes.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
and do you think i camn get away with just shaving the heads? or do i have to get some heads?

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
you can shave the heads, but i would rather have the cylinders decked if i wanted to have the comp higher.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Originally posted by crdude
[br]get LRM pipes.. my friend has them on his ultra and with some port work milled heads ect.ect. he's claiming about 140-150hp. not to mention they put out a noticable amount more hp then slp pipes.
i have trtied to look for some prices but i cannot find anything on them exept for they are larry rugland motorsport pipes? any comtact info like phone #, URL, info?

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
Im pretty sure they dont have a website, so ill try to find you a # if i can.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
thanks crdude, i have been searching the net for hours and nothing.

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
give this a try, there located at menomonie, wi

715-962-4646

they should be able to give you a price check.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
thanks i will call tomorow.

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
Hey there 98srx700

I have an 02 XCSP 800 and I run the twin PSI's on my sled. They claim around a 23 hp gain from the pipes. If they are close to accurate that would put me in the 155hp range with a pony or two bump from my v-force's as well. The pipes have been on my sled since 0 miles (put on by the dealer along w/ the reeds) and I am now at 2000 miles. I don't have the bearing upgrade done on my sled but I did tighten up my torque stop to attempt to limit engine movement. I am also going to get a torque strap from the HPE catalog as well.

If you check my gallery there are 3 video clips in there of my sled, you can hear the pipes. The vids weren't taken as a sound bite but you can hear the sled. If you want I can fire the sled up on the stand and give it a rip or two as well.

As for the pipes themselves, I would rate them as a 7 out of 10. The big picture is that they are a good design and that they work well. I have had a few issues w/ them along the way though. They came painted black and that coating burned off the first season. There is a tab that holds the two cans together and it was only tack welded in place, the vibrations broke the tack so I had it welded on solidly. They fit in pretty tight and I adjusted one of the mounting tabs to keep them away from the chaincase cover. I also keep good tight springs on them as well, to make sure they are pulled tight to seal up good and prevent any oil from leaking out.

[attachment=18983]

In this pic the little tab is on the back side and you can see it between the cans. You can see the welds on the end caps of the cans too, I had them welded all the way around as well as a preventative measure. The coating had to be re-done after this pic was taken and that's when the welding work was done.
[attachment=18982]

[attachment=18985]

[attachment=18984]

I think that for the savings over SLP they are a good deal but if I had the money for the SLP's I would probably do that next time. It isn't that I am really dissapointed in the PSI's but if I was going to do it again I would like to see how the SLP's compare. I will say this though, the customer service at PSI was second to none with me. Apparently the dealer didn't put the gasket on the head pipe so they leaked when I got them. I called PSI explained what I needed and it was on my doorstep 2 days later free of charge.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 38 Posts