Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy all! I'm new to the forum, and don't have a sled... yet. Consider this my research stage. I'm strongly thinking of getting one before the winter season starts and want to find something good for the money.

My family's always had Yamahas, but I'm thinking about a Polaris. Specifically there is a place well known near me that has the following two sleds:

Polaris Ultra SPX SE studded with a wheel kit. They are asking $3299.00 for 2050 miles.

Polaris Ultra with Xtra 12 suspension. New Track. $2500 with 4256. The prices seem about right in the blue book - and I know they go over the sleds pretty well when they are taken in. The Ultra actually belongs to one of the mechanics.

My questions are

1) Are these good sleds? How are their reliability, etc. Would I be wise to spend the extra money for the sled with fewer miles or are they both likely to hold up strong?
2) What benefits would one sled have for me over the other? I'm an aggressive rider but not a racer.
3) Should I be looking at another sled - and what should I consider in that price rance (Yamaha and Polaris only please, no Cats or Doos.)

Thanks!

·
Registered
277 Posts
Between the 2 sleds you have listed, I personally would go with the Ultra SPX. If you do alot of lake riding or Canada cruising on nice wide open trails, the SPX is the one. This is one great riding, stable high speed cruiser. If you do mostly trial riding through woods and trials with alot of rutts and bumps, the Ultra with the extra-12 will be as smooth as a Caddy. Now the SPX is triple piped and puts out about 135 hp. The Ultra with the single pipe puts out about 115 hp. Same motor, just one comes with triples from the factory. The Aggressive chassis SPX is a little heavier, but not much. Just look at the track on the SPX se, they came with thinner than normal low lug tracks. If studded wrong or if the person drove it hard, they had a tendency to rip. Good luck.

'HAMMER DOWN !!'

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That helps! Actually I'm going to be doing mostly trail riding in upstate NY. Town of Webb trails (often lousy). Some lake riding. So there's 20hp difference in the pipes? Could I get a 3-pipe setup used for the Ultra and make up the difference on my own? BTW both are 1997 models.

Sounds like for trails the Ultra would be better. Plus it has a new track, which I could stud lightly down the middle. Now is 2000 miles worth $700 difference?

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
I own a 96 Ultra with over 10000 hard miles on it. I maintain my sleds. the actual horsepower on the ultra was only 105. Lots of power for trails. but you will be lucky to hit the C note on the lake. Dont let the miles sway your decision They are both excellent. and the Ultra can be made faster with a few modifications. If they are in similar condition pick the one that you like the looks of best. The lower mile one will be easier to resale after you put 2 or 3 thousand miles on it.

·
Registered
425 Posts
For what it's worth, I ride some really rough trails and the x-tra 12 suspension is great. We are talking trails that are not goomed by anything other than the snowmobile infront of me. You hardly notice the bumps.

* Polaris * ......... The Way Out!

·
Registered
290 Posts
The extra 12 is nice, but the track makes some noice, and be careful taken corners it can be tippy. I have a 97 spx se 680 extra 10 with reverse, it's heavier but very reliable the 680 is a nice engine and is also great on the trails. If it does not have reverse, get it these sleds are on the heavier side and it will save the back.

·
Registered
290 Posts
I also see you are a aggressive rider, I would go with the spx, you will be flipping the extra 12 on corners although it's is a smooth ride

·
Registered
135 Posts
I have a 97 Ultra SP (10" susp) My buddy has a 97 Ultra (12" susp) Drag racing they were neck and neck (I have pipes now). I have rode his sled and 12" XLT's, I don't agree that you'll be fliping over all the time with a 12" susp. It is a nice ride. The SPX is heavier, but, if it is set up right the power takes away some of the weight. The launch (wheelies) with the 10" susp is cool too:) The headlight on the SPX is way better than on the old indy Chasis. I love my sled and am not ready ti part with it yet!

Runner

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Awesome! This is definitely helpful insight. I've got to get back to the dealer on Sunday and inspect them both.

I was really thinking about spending the extra $700 for the SPX but the Xtra 12 and lighter weight of the Ultra might be more up my ally. It does have 2000 extra miles on it but if it is in good shape might be worth it. Especially considering that it has a new track. I could always re-pipe it if I feel it needs more power.

And I'm not worried about flipping it - I learned to ride on a Phazer and kept that thing upright (most of the time :) Though I've almost scraped my knees while riding so low taking corners!

·
Registered
135 Posts
Ride it for a month, then put some pipes on it;) You won't believe the difference. HotRod definitely knows a thing or two about the Ultra's, he has great advice!

Runner

·
Registered
4,617 Posts
One thing no one mentioned... Welcome to the forum! Have fun keep it clean and post away. If you ever have problems with your sled ask here and you will almost always get an answer.

Trees don't make the greatest brakes.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'll re-examine the condition of the sleds. If I get the Ultra I'm going to stud it like 90 down the middle, I think. I'm not sure what that would cost. What's the longevity of these things? Is 2000 vs 4000 miles a significant difference? (worth $700?)

Thanks for the welcome! I hope to get some good knowledge out of here!

·
Registered
135 Posts
I would find the stud pattern for 144 down the middle of the track. It has some double backer's in it. My buddy swears by this pattern. I have gone through 2 tracks on my Ultra. Both were torn on outside edges. The Ultra does have some power and 90 some stud's aren't enough. My sled has 6000 miles on it, Hotrod said his has 10000. The better care you take care of them, the better off you'll be.

Runner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts