Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,293 Posts
The ultra sp is 105-108HP, the spx is closer to 135hp because its triple piped from the factory..My bro has a 97 ultra sp and it has good power and tops out at about 106mph with stock gearing,it will pass my 99 rmk 700 after 60mph..If you pipe and clutch a sp you can get up to 145hp out of them,then they really scream..He has 3700 miles on his and hasnt touched a thing it has been very reliable..Hope this helps

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
i had a 97 ultra spx 680 and with the dyno port tripple pipes it brought the hp up to 148 and the v-force reeds might have brought it up to 150..they are very quick sleds but i hated the way it handled especially in deep powder and it is very heavy and the ride sucked but of cource im comparing it to my 03 sks

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have 8 years experience riding a 96 ultra sp(stock, single pipe), here is what I know.
The good: very smooth seemless power. very good low end power. Engine has been bullet proof for 5500 miles. Not a single hichup. Starts every time on first or second pull hot or cold. Not noisy AT ALL, exhaust noise is real low.
The bad: Definetly not one of the fastest 700 class triples. And in my opinion somewhat under powered in stock form. Very heavy. This sled is a nose diver and suffers in other areas becouse of this. Including hard landings and the associated broken parts.
The rest: There are many aftermarket bolt ons that claim to make this engine very powerfull. However there is always a penalty or a give and take factor. The most common of these is loss or decrease in bottom end grunt which is one of the best aspects of this sled. I prefer to have the power out of the corner as opposed to the end of the lake or field. Gas and oil usage is about average for this class. xtra 10 is sooo dated but not bad. Original Indy chasis has its draw backs but it can definatly take a hit better than any newer sled I have seen.
All in all it is a pretty good sled. Don't expect to be the fist one across the lake, do expect the power to be there while ditch banging and trail riding. Would I buy another one? Probably not. While I enjoy the hell out of riding this sled and triples were all the rage at the time I think for MY TYPE of riding I would prefer a lighter weight twin which have more power in stock form.

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Great review bigjohn! Speaking from experience is what we like to see.

Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I have a '97 Ultra SP, been riding it for two years. It has 5500 miles on it and I haven't had a lick of trouble. Always starts, hot or cold and has plenty of power for the
type of riding I enjoy. The suspension/chassis technology may have been around for awhile, but compaired to my '77 Yamaha Exciter 440, this sled rides like a dream. As far as the weight: it only weighs 509 lbs dry. . . not really too bad for a triple.

·
Registered
749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Theres one for sale in my area and its a 1997 and the guy wants 4999$ canadien. It has studs and plastic skies, i think. He claims it will go 120mph.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Not for sure if this is the same but my riding buddy had a 96 Ultra SKS and kept throwing out the jackshaft bearing. The dealer provided an upgrade or stabilizer and said it was a Polaris defect. He finally traded it in at the dealer. It's worth mentioning that he beat it pretty hard.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I thought a 96 and 97 680 were a little different. I know the 96 is under powered compared to the 97, but with after market pipes and a couple other mods the 96 ultra rocks, pipes on the 96 is a 43hp gain. The most hp out of any sled on the market for just adding pipes. All pipe manufacturers claim high hp gains with this sled. In stock form it is a little underpowered for the 700 class. I assume you are talking about the 96.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I just picked up this 97' Ultra for $2200. Can you say mint?

The last cat I had got a titanium jackshaft, triple tooth aluminum gears, ported, piped, ect.... Oh man not another money pit [:D]

·
Registered
13 Posts
The jackshaft stabalizer upgrade was to provide more support for the jackshaft. It is simply a round metel block about an inch or so thick that moves the bearing closer to the back side of the clutch and will decrease jackshaft flex and help maintain clutch alighnment under heavy load thus extending belt life etc... If your 97 does not already have this I recomend putting one on. It is easy to install and will give you an opurtunity to inspect the jackshaft bearing. I also had a problem with this bearing, however it was not the bearing itself going bad it was the shaft spinnig inside the inner race thus grinding out the shaft and ruining it. What I did was put some locktite here to bond the shaft insde the bearing race to ensure that the bearing spun with the shaft. It seems to have done the trick. Good luck with your "new" Ultra. I definitly would not consider it a money pit. With proper maintenance you should enjoy many years of trouble free fun!

·
Registered
99 Posts
Hey Pipe, that's a sharp Ultra. It sure looks clean.

I'm sure your going to like it.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Hard to believe my sled use to look like that! I painted it black before it even saw snow. Left off the greenish blue stickers. Low black windshield and sled looks great. I have 5700 miles on mine, no prob's ,yet. I have SLP pipes, V force reeds, erlandson clutch kit. Put on a 1" track with 144 studs down the middle. I can't believe the power this thing has. Definitely hold on with 2 hands when you pin it! I didn't give up any low end with the pipes. I love this sled. I want to put on a fox position sensitive shock, huge difference and some plastic ski's. $$$$. Mach Z's and ZRT 800's can't hide! Let me know if you have any ?'s

1 - 15 of 15 Posts