Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Administrator
13,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is the 47 dollar a gallon (Canadian) crap that is supposed to keep VES valves relatively clean up to 1000 miles. What a load of garbage.

These pics were taken after 411 miles.

/polarisman/../images/users/Polaris-Man/proxvalve1.jpg

/polarisman/../images/users/Polaris-Man/proxvalve2.jpg

I'm kind of annoyed by this...

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
Wow, only 400 miles and they look like that already?

I use regular AMSOIL with my VES and i checked mine last year at about 500 miles, and put them back in because they were still mostly clean. I'm not trying to promote them or anything, i'm simply stating my own experience with VES.

What's your plan for cleaning your brand new valves? Just curious.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
P-Man, mine looked just as bad at around 500 miles. Cleaned them, still running VES oil and at 800 miles there virtually spotless....My dealer gave me some reason for the dirty valves being you run lots of oil on the first tank, and I think they use the regular blue oil in the resevoir to start you out also.

·
Registered
8,108 Posts
I thrid the amsoil reccomondation. My sled rips, and it's ran amsoil since rebuild day. It rips, and I have had zero problems. Although it is not a valved motor...

-Dean

·
Registered
135 Posts
Remember all of that oil is made by major oil companies, not Polaris or Amsoil. I worked at a poleris shop one winter and the sleds we built did get the blue oil in it the first tank. If you added more oil that would make it even worse. You could run Chevron's 2 stroke oil in that and probably run just as well and save alot of bucks. All 2 stroke oil is a semi synthetic base, this enables them to get a low pour point. I'd clean those valves, run it another 300 miles and take another look at them.

·
Administrator
13,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Already cleaned the valves, That's why I took them out, had crappy performance. Sled runs good again.

From the dealer, I had Polaris VES II oil in the resevoir. Then I ran 1 gallon of Polaris VES oil. Now I"m running a Shell fully-synthetic oil, cuz the Polaris stuff is over-priced IMO.

·
Registered
167 Posts
variable valves on exausts are famous for getting carboned, but that looks pretty bad, have you tryed a semi-synthetic? sometimes a full synthetic has a tendency to build ash when it hits a "cold" exaust port, a couple of years ago i had this same problem with a dirt bike and changed to semi-synthetic and was way happier and could go longer between service intervels.just a thought, i here ya on not being inpressed by high priced oils, the prufe is in the pudding![:D]

·
Registered
8,108 Posts
Originally posted by Runner
[br]Remember all of that oil is made by major oil companies, not Polaris or Amsoil. I worked at a poleris shop one winter and the sleds we built did get the blue oil in it the first tank. If you added more oil that would make it even worse. You could run Chevron's 2 stroke oil in that and probably run just as well and save alot of bucks. All 2 stroke oil is a semi synthetic base, this enables them to get a low pour point. I'd clean those valves, run it another 300 miles and take another look at them.
1a. Amsoil gets their stock oil from someone, yes, they don't dig it out of the ground themselves...But, they do alot of stuff to it themselves, it is NOT the same as what you'd get from chevron, exxon, etc.

1b. Low pour point my ass. It was 12 degrees out one morning, and my neighbor was watching me oil up my sled with amsoil. Poured like regular oil, smooth and liquidy. He was like, wow. He took out his polaris VES oil, and it took literaly a few secconds before it started moving out of his jug. It poured like molasses.

-Dean

·
Registered
277 Posts
[red] Edited out by Polaris-Man so topic can stay open

One more comment like this was and you are history

Leave the moderating to moderators[/red]

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
Originally posted by vetboy
[br]variable valves on exausts are famous for getting carboned, but that looks pretty bad, have you tryed a semi-synthetic? sometimes a full synthetic has a tendency to build ash when it hits a "cold" exaust port, a couple of years ago i had this same problem with a dirt bike and changed to semi-synthetic and was way happier and could go longer between service intervels.just a thought, i here ya on not being inpressed by high priced oils, the prufe is in the pudding![:D]
I agree, and that's why i use Amsoil. It is an ash-less formula. Most companies use ash-containing additives because it costs alot less. Plus amsoil is not just a synthetic, or synthetic blend, it is 100% synthetic which many others are not. Best of all, it often costs the same or less than their competition. IMO, it's the best bang for your buck when used over time. If you don't believe that this stuff is this great than do some research on Amsoil and see for your self. Many tests have proven themselves beating it's competition. I've been using this stuff for over 5 years in all my cars, fourwheelers and snowmobiles because it really does what they claim. I'm not saying it's #1, but that it is among the best out there. Back when i started to use this stuff, it was pretty hard to find. But now their network has spread quickly and it is available nearly everywhere now. Now Polaris dealers sell it too, even though their very own VES oil sits next to it on the same shelf. I also highly regard Klotz and Red Line oil.

Just use what works best for you. Everyone is different.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I'm not going to get into an argument here. I work gor an oil distributer, I have had samples tested from Polaris, Ski doo and Yamaha, they all come back the same. Just different dyes for color. I cannot say for sure, but, I would bet Amsoil is made and put in bottles by a major oil company. I would like to run a test on it, but haven't yet. I agree with it being a good oil. I have it in my chain case. I just hate seeing these guy's getting ripped by the manufacturer's prices all the time. What they get for oil is criminal as far as I'm concerned.

·
Registered
5,686 Posts
I'll have to agree on Amsoil too, but I have found something that has a better smell to it, Klotz. I now use that.

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
AMSOIL ownz me and all of my vehicles, including my sled, S2000 (Motor, and Rear end), and BMW. I don't think you can find a better oil period, although it is a little spendy.

·
Administrator
13,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I deleted all the trash from this topic so that it can remain open. Please continue to discuss it. I wanna know other ppl's experiences, so I can maybe figure out WHY they were so dirty.

·
Registered
129 Posts
[red] Man, private messages are private for a reason. Thanks for being a member, but this was the last straw. Bye[/red]

[red] Edited by Polaris-Man[/red]

·
Administrator
13,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Please continue with the original topic.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
All I'm saying about the Polaris oil is that after you clean them the first time it's not as bad after that. My valves looked just as nasty as yours P-Man, that was at 400 miles. Like I said before, kept using VES oil and checked them last month(800 miles) and they were clean as could be. I'm in no way endorsing Polaris oil and hell yes it's expensive, but my lazy ass hasn't yet gone to town to buy amsoil + I had two gallons from last year

·
Registered
36 Posts
Had the same problem but after 500 miles I had to use a prybar to get them out.After that I leaned the pump out a little and droped my mains down 2 sizes. No problem since.

·
Administrator
13,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I thought maybe it was from the double oil @ break in. I'm still usin the cheaper synthetic stuff. I'll see how this stuff will work.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts