Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am rebuilding an old 1986 indy 600 and i have found a new engine for it. since the old one blew a head bolt off and cracked two pistons. and well the new/used engine has a commet clutch on it. i did a little research and i am at a complete deadlock. which clutch is better???[B)]???Polaris or Commet?

Any help is appriciated.

·
Registered
4,617 Posts
Does the old engine have the clutch on it still? I would personally just use the Polaris clutch, especially if you already have one that is calibrated for that sled... There is a reason why the P-85 primary clutch has been around for a long time.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the relpys guys. I'll go with the polaris one since, as you said, it's already callibrated, and i've heard from many people that polaris clutches are more reliable and easier to make adjustments on. thanks.

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
Depending on the type of comet clutch you have is where i would draw the line. If you have a comet 102-c, 108, or the comet 4-pro. I believe the only comet clutch that would be inferior to the P-85 is the "comet 98c duster" which uses plastic weights or pucks and is for lower HP sleds. But i would say the 102 or the other ones i listed above are as good or better than the polaris version depending on which one you have. They are the same basic design as the polaris clutch and comet has been around for quite a long time and even supplied clutches to John Deere as Factory Parts. Both clutches can be rebuilt easily and different springs/weights are very easy to find for both. So i guess its up to you as to which you choose, if i were you, i would weigh each clutch when it is fully calibrated and use the lighter one for more performance (less rotational mass = faster rev's)

Just my two cents worth.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts