Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up (what the seller told me) was a 1983 Polaris Indy Trail 488 fan cooled. After checking out some things I dont' think they made a 488 f/c in 83. I'm thinkin it could be a 86, but not sure how to find out. I can't read the manufacture date on the side plate. Can someone tell me how I can tell what year it is? Any help would be grateful. Thank you from Pennsylvania (where we haven't had a flake drop yet...uhhhgg!!!!

·
Registered
86 Posts
sounds like an 84 to 86 to me,

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Maybe there's a serial number or some other number on the motor I can find to clue me in on whether it's a 488 or 440. I've attached a couple pics. Thanks for your input. [attachment=54021] [attachment=54022]

Attachments

·
Registered
725 Posts
It looks like it has CDI ignition, correct me if im wrong but I dont think that was availiable in 83, maybe it was just coming onto the scene then. It could be a 83 chassis with a newer motor in it. The fan shroud on that motor is different than the one on my trail though, so it must be old. [?]

·
Registered
340 Posts
That looks exactly like my buddies 1985 Indy trail.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Originally posted by YooperRider
[br]It looks like it has CDI ignition, correct me if im wrong but I dont think that was availiable in 83, maybe it was just coming onto the scene then. It could be a 83 chassis with a newer motor in it. The fan shroud on that motor is different than the one on my trail though, so it must be old. [?]
CDI was available all the way back into the mid 70's on production Poo sleds.

There should be a model # on the engine, below the MAG carb. Maybe elsewhere? It will start with EC followed by 2 numbers. Multiply those numbers by 10 and you have the displacement. EC34 would be a 340, etc.

The oil injection makes me point to either an 85 or 86. I take it the VIN tag on the side of the tunnel can't be read at all?

Bryan

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'll look for numbers on the engine. The VIN tag is pretty tore up....I believe the number on the side is 0903996....but that's all I can see. Not sure what that number tells me. Is that the model number ?

·
Registered
477 Posts
i think it is a 84 because i looked on the the polaris catalog thing and it only goes as old as 85 bu the 85 reallydoesn't look like that.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
that motor looks identical to my 85 polaris SS 440. So it is definetly around that era, and for the CDI question, my 1975 cat has a CDI, and i think thye started them in 73 or 74.....

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
Looks like an '83 or '84. I don't know how to tell the graphics apart between those years. Also, I do not know if they had oil injection in '83, yet. But, if it is the original engine, it is a 440, not a 488.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Looks like a 1983 Indy Trail 440 Fan
Check here:
http://www.polarisman.com/site/DisplayModel.cfm?ModelID=83SNOINDYTRAIL&Year=1983

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yes....I after researching a ton...I've come to the conclusion that it is an 83 440 Indy Trail 440 fan. Thanks to all...this site is great. I still have not found numbers on the motor anywhere...but I found the manufacture date and it's def. and 83. It is oil injected also....how reliable is oil injection? Anyone know of any that went down during riding. That would not be good. The guy I picked it up from always used mixed fuel along with the oil injection. Must have run very rich and fouled plugs like crazy. Any input??

·
Registered
13 Posts
Originally posted by JD
[br]
Originally posted by jlfo
[br]I found the manufacture date and it's def. and 83.
So, the date of manufacture was some time in '82?
I recently got a sled and I was wondering about that. The manufacture date is in Oct of 1985.... It says it's a 488cc on the engine, so does that mean it's actually an 1986??? This would really make sense cuz I haven't been able to find parts for an '85 488cc... They all start at '86 for the 488cc.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Generally yes, The manufacture date is a year before what the sled actually is. For example if your tunnel on your sled says manufacture date 1985, your sled is an 86'. But like i said this is normal. I don't know if its the same for all sleds all the time.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Originally posted by kjasp82
[br]Generally yes, The manufacture date is a year before what the sled actually is. For example if your tunnel on your sled says manufacture date 1985, your sled is an 86'. But like i said this is normal. I don't know if its the same for all sleds all the time.
It says the manufacture date on the tunnel is Oct '85 and the engine says '85, but it also says that it's a 488cc, and I couldn't find a rebuild kit for a 1985 Polaris Indy Trail 488cc.

Great! Thanks! Guess I got a better deal than I bargained for. I guess I can get the rebuild kit for it now.

Do you have any idea how hard it is to find parts for a sled that doesn't really exist?

I guess I have an '86 Polaris Indy Trail. Cool.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts