Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know nothing about snowmobiles; my neighbor gave me permission to use his Polaris Wide Track while he's away so that I can keep packing the cross-country ski track.

When I went to start it, I opened the choke, put the kill switch in the run/start position and turned the key. It turned over but wouldn't keep running. I tried it a few times, then was worries maybe I flooded it. It would start and run at full throttle, but even though it was in gear it wouldn't move, and black smoke was coming out from under the hood. So I turned it off, waited several minutes, and then tried again. It was completely dead - no battery/starter. I need to get this thing fixed and running.

Help? Please?

·
Registered
393 Posts
Was the sled parked outside?If it runs wide open but doen,t move the track may have frozen to the ground and the smoke was the belt burning/slipping?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Rainman56 said:
Was the sled parked outside?If it runs wide open but doen,t move the track may have frozen to the ground and the smoke was the belt burning/slipping?
Thanks for answering.
I'm in Vermont. We got big snow today. It was used this morning, then parked (presumably warm) in an unheated pole barn. So I guess it could've been frozen stuck in that spot, and there was definitely a fair bit of black smoke. But why do I now get nothing when I turn it over? More importantly, ideas about how to fix it?

·
Registered
393 Posts
Might be just a coinsidense.Do you here a click or anything?What happens if you try to start it manually,ie..pulling the rope?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Not sure about the click. I didn't try to pull start it - I'm a little afraid of screwing things up even worse.
What does it mean to "blow the plugs?" I've heard the phrase but don't know what it means. Could I have done that?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Not sure about the click. I didn't try to pull start it - I'm a little afraid of screwing things up even worse.
What does it mean to "blow the plugs?" I've heard the phrase but don't know what it means. Could I have done that?

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
I think he means to take the plugs out and blow on them and get the excess gas off, then pull it over with the plugs out and that should do a little towards unflooding it.

·
Registered
741 Posts
yeah pull the plugs out, 13/16th's deep socket.. tell us the color of the plugs where they spark and if they are wet or not. id also pull it over a few times with the plugs out and see if any gas shoots out or to just air it out a bit. put the plugs back in and try to fire it up again by pull starting it and if it revs up again just hit the hill switch real quick

·
Registered
17 Posts
Did you check the belt? Since the track was stuck in ice, I suspect the belt might have been damaged. That was probably the reason for that awful smoke.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts