Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well as im moving on to the polaris now i tore the clutch plate off the end as i was told too to check and see if the rollers and weights were moving freely bc my clutch sticks open and will stale the engine..i got the plate off and the weights do have a little smooth surface rust on then which im going to to get it off but could that little rust stop it from working properly

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Spin the rollers around with your finger looking for any ground flat spots. Your weights will show some extra wear if it is grinding on the roller.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
teamarctic14 said:
is it ok to clean it with some break clean and such get it all working and lose
Dont use break clean, just hot water and soap? Did u pull the clutch off the sled? Its a lot easier to do proper inspection on the bench, even if you cant pull it apart. Check and see if the weights can wiggle side to side = worn bushings. If they get loose enough they can hit the spider assy and that will hang it up. Also might have removed some material off the spider at which point a re-balance might be in order. Id also be willing to be the guide buttons on the spider a pretty worn. Polaris spec is .002-.004 clearance I think. Movable sheave bushing and cover bushings are prob pretty worn too. Main thing is prob the weight bushings though, thatll def hang up a clutch, the rest of the bushings being worn will just exaggerate the prob. Prob time for a rebuild. Offseason is great time to do this however. Good luck

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Ive seen some clutches get so loaded up with corrosion and belt dust that bind up pretty bad. Try cleaning the clutch as good as you can and see what you get. IMHO, the best thing you can do is get the clutch off the sled and tear it down and fully inspect and clean it. That way nothing ius left to question. You have pelnty of time and theres a good chance it wont cost you that much.

Just my $.02

1 - 7 of 7 Posts