Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well i figured since the season was pretty much over i would tear down the xc 700 since it had a 100 psi of compression on the clutch side and 120 on the other so i took it all apart to find it was bad so im redoing the hole motor can anyone give me some pointers on whats a good brand of pistons along with price and any pointers puting it back together it has the slp twin pipes boost bottle and vforve reeds and clutch does 38s and 210s sound right for the jets thank for any help

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2-PISTON-KITS-PISTONS-POLARIS-INDY-XC700-XC-700-SP-RMK_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem3a585d6f8fQQitemZ250590621583QQptZSnowmobileQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

do these here look to be any good or are they to cheap

·
Registered
5 Posts
they look like the SPI ones but are quite a bit cheaper. i put the SPI ones in my 99 700 and my 03 800 they are solid. since your doin the work yourself i would probably take the chance and save the cash on those ones. check out polarisindustries and see what stock recomededs. hard to say what you should be running.

·
Registered
9,987 Posts
Those look like SPI, but ask the seller to be sure.

If you're pretty much normal trail riding, you'll be completely satisfied with SPI.

If you're into drag racing or turbo's, etc, you'll probably want to get better ones.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Maybe ill go with those and yes all I do is trail with it should I do the crank bearings along with the seals or should I be good. It has 5400 miles

·
Registered
9,987 Posts
teamarctic14 said:
Maybe ill go with those and yes all I do is trail with it should I do the crank bearings along with the seals or should I be good. It has 5400 miles
For the minor expense of replacing the bearings, I'd go for it...

If the bearing are close to going, and fail with all the other new parts in place, the expense of replacing them will be considerably higher as they'll take out other stuff you just replaced as well as the crank..

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Poo, what do you consider as minor? Our dealer told us $600 to replace bearings on the wifes 500 Classic. And that had to be shipped out as they did not do cranks.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
picman said:
Poo, what do you consider as minor? Our dealer told us $600 to replace bearings on the wifes 500 Classic. And that had to be shipped out as they did not do cranks.
thats nice of them

·
Registered
474 Posts
The local place here charges $250 for bearings. That is a dealer who ships them out and it was for a XCR triple crank. IMO $600 sounds steep.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
^^Now that is what I would call minor. For that price, I would have had the bottem end rebuilt just because it was already apart. $600 would have doubled the cost of the rebuild.

I don't have the knowledge base to do a rebuild myself-one reason I stick to this site-or the tools. No sense buying the tools if I don't have the smarts to use them.

·
Registered
9,987 Posts
$600 is your dealer giving it to you dry, without even the courtesy of a reach-around..

Go elsewhere like a smaller repair shop where they make their living off of repairs, not selling new vehicles.

·
Registered
474 Posts
teamarctic14 said:
now when i take the stator off what the trick to putting it back on with out the timing messed up
You should be able to see an indicator ( usually an arrow or dot around the ouside edge of the stator plate) It will have a punch mark on the stator that lines up with that. If it doesn't have any just take a picture (just in case) of the stator for your own reference (if you are not familiar with the way they go in) and then make your own marks with a punch. One mark will go on the stator and one on the crank case. Make sure they are exactly lined up when you make the marks and when you put it back together... bingo.

Sometimes I just fingernail polish to help me find the marks better. If you do a line from the case up onto the stator it can make it even more precise when used in combination with the dots.

Hope thats not to confusing.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts