Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi I am new to this forum. I have a '95 Polaris XCR 600 I purchased a couple months ago. I have a few questions on choosing the proper modifications for me. The first thing I would like to do is put handlebar risers on the sled. Now, I am about 6'0" tall and don't know what height would be proper handlebar height for me. I am an aggressive rider for instance, I like jumping, climbing, and pinning that triple! The next mod I would like to do is put a new track with extensions on the sled, but I am stuck on what extension to go with, I would like to go from 121 to either a 136 or a 144 (tip up). For my riding style what would be best for me? For the most part I ride in eastern South Dakota and there really isn't any deep powder around here, but I do plan on making trips out west a few times each year. I would like the best all around length and lug depth for my style of riding. Thanks in advance for help!!!

·
Registered
3,435 Posts
I have a 3" non pivot riser on my sons 98xc6, its perfect for him at 5' 11" and me at 6'1". If ur really aggressive you might want a pivot riser set up, but you will prob need a throttle and brake line extensions depending on how high u go. For the track, my other 98xc6 I went to a 136" x 1.75" and used rear drop brackets, a lil too aggressive lug height for around here. For you I would suggest a 1.50" or a Cobra style track. Tracks USA sells the rail and tunnel extensions, a new track is expensive and if ur on a budget you can prob find everything u need on ebay or cl for 1/2 the cost of new. With track changes you might have to do some clutching and gearing, but on mine everything worked great for around here.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a 3" non pivot riser on my sons 98xc6, its perfect for him at 5' 11" and me at 6'1". If ur really aggressive you might want a pivot riser set up, but you will prob need a throttle and brake line extensions depending on how high u go. For the track, my other 98xc6 I went to a 136" x 1.75" and used rear drop brackets, a lil too aggressive lug height for around here. For you I would suggest a 1.50" or a Cobra style track. Tracks USA sells the rail and tunnel extensions, a new track is expensive and if ur on a budget you can prob find everything u need on ebay or cl for 1/2 the cost of new. With track changes you might have to do some clutching and gearing, but on mine everything worked great for around here.

Awesome, thanks for the help I will get the riser now and then the extension set up sometime this summer. I do appreciate the opinions!

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Plastic skis if you don't already have them. I have the same sled but a 96. I just put on a 6in pivot rise on mine. I also did a edge rear skid and xtra10 front. this summer im doin a fusion seat and tank, i hate the low seat as im a bigger guy and feal all cramped up setting on it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It sounds like you have some of the same ideas as me thats what I was exactly going to do. I do not currently have plastic skis but I actually have aluminum skis. Im also a bigger guy and hate the low riding feel.

·
Registered
15,722 Posts
Taller seat like a pro x seat? True verticle riser. Steering arm support bearing kit(wms) Heavier springs....

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was thinking a fusion seat and tank swap. I heard it is like a 5 to 6 inch height difference. Now I weight roughly 250 lbs would you think I need to change the springs or stiffen them up?

·
Registered
15,722 Posts
Depends if it bottoms out or not....

·
Registered
4,331 Posts
heres my buddys 95 xcr 600.

6" riser
shorty seat and edge tank
xtra 10 suspension swap
tracks usa 136 kit with a camoplast cobra
flatslide carbs from a 2000 triumph 600
plastic skis
dynoport pipes
shaved heads. its a quick sled runs 100+ octane

they can be fun a fun sled as long as you get is set up right for your style. the 136 and xtra 10 swap deffenetly helped in the suspension department. and at your height i would reccomend going with like a 6" rise

1621953_10152195229710803_1358612342_n.jpg 1653309_10152195229645803_2015892362_n.jpg

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you, I ordered the risers today. Hopefully they will be what I'm looking for. BTW the mine has the 121 xtra 10 on it right now, and my plan was to extend it out to the 136x 1.5 paddles. It is really a fun little sled! Just need to make some adjustments. ;)

·
Registered
43 Posts
I'd say just do your own thing, come up with some ideas that you've never seen before to blow away others, though it's nice to get opinions.

·
Registered
11 Posts
SN0WC4T86 I would suggest check for similar threads with your make of machine. If not start your own thread.

My thought is to replace the stock .875" lug track with a 1.25" (non studed) ripsaw camoplast track. Comoplast suggests up to 1.5", but would not go any taller than 1.25" due to clearance concerns with front heat exchanger. 1.25" was a tight enough fit there. Also, make sure track is warm prior to installation so it not stiff. This will make it a lot easier getting it around the front driver wheels. Doing this mod will provide you better traction on trail and noticably better off trail handling characteristic as it did for my 92 Indy500 for Michigan conditions. No clutch retuning will be necessary. Check craigslist for used, takeoffs, and new tracks. Have seen new ones there for 300-400 dollars.

If you are on a budget, put some 6-8" carbide wear bars up front with 60 degree angle cut, then lower your rear skid mounting point to the lowest hole on mounting bracket. This will put more weight on your skis for improved turning.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I own 2001 polaris xc 800.. looking to put on after market bar riser and renthal bars.. wonder if I need a pivot riser or not. I would like to put on the new fly riser they have out. New to installing bar riser input would be appreciated thanks! Snow is a coming!!! Brap

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
You can go a few inches on the xc before needing to extend wires and cables. Some fancy rerouting of things may net you clearance for 3-4" of rise. Others here may know more.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts