Snowmobile Fanatics banner

Polaris xlt overheating

17K views 18 replies 10 participants last post by  BinVa 
#1 ·
I have a 93 polaris xlt and it is overheating. The temp light comes on and also there is coolant shooting out the cap on the coolant tank. Every time the temp light comes on i stop and i check there is snow on exchanger and there is coolant all over the inside of my hood. I have bleed out all the lines and there was no air block replaced the coolant lines and checked the water pump. The water pump is good and the belt is good. I took it out and still the temp light came on and coolant all over the place. Dose anybody have any ideas?

#2 ·
Head gasket? Do a compresion test

#3 ·
Is the exchanger hot? If it's not, you have a circulation problem..

You say there's snow on the exchanger, it should be steaming if the engine is that hot.

#4 ·
Ugly_old_Poo_kid said:
Is the exchanger hot? If it's not, you have a circulation problem..

You say there's snow on the exchanger, it should be steaming if the engine is that hot.
agreed, there should be no snow on the exchanger unless your in the deep pow. maybe an air lock. open the cap and raise the front end and top it off to see if there is air in it. otherwise you have a coolant issue. those lights dont come on for no reason. might want to replace your coolant pressure cap. those do go bad and blow out coolant too.

#5 ·
Yeah head gasket thats what i was thinking maybe to. Yes i did do a compression test 115,110,110 psi.

Yeah the exchangers are hot. I haven't seen steam come off them because i throw snow on the runner boards.

On the pressure relief cap when i opened i did see a little bit of coolant and air bubbles come up

And also is my compression a little low or is it oka?

#6 ·
This has happened to me...check to see if x-changers are hot as mentioned.... is your coolant line between overflow bottle and rad cap full with coolant...check your coolant filter to see if there is flow as well as one way check valve. What happened to me was water pump failed causing the overflow line to melt a hole and piss antifreeze. Once fixed machine kept pressuring up due to crap stuck in overflow bottle nipple. Easy fix once recognized.

#9 ·
Yeah there's no thermostat in them. All of the lines are replaced the old filter had something in it so i replaced that the check valve was still good. Also all the lines are full no air bubbles nothing. and it still heats up and shoots coolant out the cap

#15 ·
Hello, I had the same thing last year. I could drive for quite a while and then the temp light would come on, but the engine wasn't hot. i would lift the pressure release level on the pressure cap and some air and pressure would escape. Turned out to be the o-ring (head gasket) on the PTO side piston was burnt and missing quite a bit of material. When the air pocket in the head got large enough to cover the temperature light switch it would signal the temp light. And no, there is no thermostat in a 93 XLT. Easy fix though!!