Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have heard about having to drill out an oil hole for the pto side of this engine, but i dont know where it is. i just installed a set of PSI triple pipes on my 93 xlt 580 and want it to be reliable with this setup. i have read that running the engine between 8400-8700 will cause some bad vibrations in the engine and make the engine blow sooner, but that it will run fine at 9200 rpm. i thought that running heavier weights would be better to be able to use the extra hp and keep the rpms down and still have full shift-out. any help with this is appreciated.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
so should i try and keep it at the same max rpm as stock? right now, if i punch it from a dead stop, it will jump up to 9000rpms and then drop to 8200. but then it sputters and wants to stay at 7500. im pretty sure this is a lean condition, so im going to put 250 mains in it.(currently 230's, up from 200's stock) right now the temperature is about 45F. i also turned up the oiler.

·
Registered
323 Posts
TNT123 said:
so should i try and keep it at the same max rpm as stock? right now, if i punch it from a dead stop, it will jump up to 9000rpms and then drop to 8200. but then it sputters and wants to stay at 7500. im pretty sure this is a lean condition, so im going to put 250 mains in it.(currently 230's, up from 200's stock) right now the temperature is about 45F. i also turned up the oiler.
I understand some peoples needs for pipes I even thought about it at times, I also have a 93 580 (6500 miles ) and I just geared it and clutched it right and it flies! It has a 02 edge rear suspension with a 1" track also and it still does 90!.. I just recently put a R8 Helix in AND IT PULLS IT NO PROBLEM! No Bogs nothing just takes off right from a dead stop.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
it was pretty quick with the single pipe on it, but i want to make these pipes work to get the extra hp. i tried the 250's and it didnt fix the problem. i even tried taking everything out of the airbox, but it still didnt fix it.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
They did the same thing on my sled before i changed the clutching. They dont like the stock clutching, when i put in the 10mw the bog went away.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
it doesnt seem like a clutching problem though. it sounds like the engine is almost missfiring and the engine sounds rough.

·
Registered
463 Posts
call psi and find out what rpm the pipes make optimum power at, if the pipes make max power at 9000 you need to clutch your sled so it fully shifts out a 9000, the pipe manufacturer should be able to give you clutch and carb settings that are pretty darn close to what you need for max hp gains and reliability!

i just picked up a set of LRM pipes for my xcr 600>>> and am wondering about that oiler hole in the crank case aswell!

what weights and spring are in your primary now?

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
im not sure what weights are in it, but the spring is blue. i had some 87 octane in the sled from my atv, so i drained it out and put some fresh 93 in and it seems to be running alot smoother. but i still have to get the clutch setup for the right rpm. for this sled, the maximum power with these pipes is at 9100-9200 rpms, as per the online dyno sheet i found.(cant find it again though) i think i will have to wait until next winter to get it dialed in, because im almost out of snow to ride on.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
TNT123 said:
it doesnt seem like a clutching problem though. it sounds like the engine is almost missfiring and the engine sounds rough.
Im positive its clutching. Mine did the same thing, when i first put them on i tried useing the stock cluch weights, it almost seemed like it was starving for fuel. It would take off like a rocket , level out at about 7400rpm and just not want to go. I put in the 10mw like the papers i gave you recomended and problem solved.

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Do a search on here for XLT piped and you will find a lot of good info. This has been covered many, many times. You should feed the motor more oil when increasing rpms, piping a motor. The 93 was a very strong performer in the day and still is a strong runner. As with ant time you pipe a sled with 1 pipe per cylinder, the sled will become more finicky to temperature and condition changes. This requires you to re-jet and sometimes re-clutch to keep it running well or stockers will go by you. I enjoyed the sleds that I piped back in the day, but learned quickly that it is not just install the pipes, clutch and jet to manufacturer's spec and go. Here are a couple of posts to get you close.
http://www.snowmobilefanatics.com/forum/topic/113562/display.aspx
http://www.snowmobilefanatics.com/forum/topic/113505/display.aspx

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i do plan doing the clutching along with a bunch of other stuff this summer. but the rough running was just the crappy gas that was in it. i'll have it running its best for next winter!

·
Registered
33 Posts
my 93 is piped and run 240 mains. at 10 and below runs well. but above 10 you can till it needs different jets. i always run 91+ in her. good luck setting it up. mine has 5300 with pipes installed from day one and she's still going.

·
Registered
181 Posts
TNT123 said:
i have heard about having to drill out an oil hole for the pto side of this engine, but i dont know where it is.
I found this site when I was looking for xlt info. According to the info there as well as from other sources I have found, the 580s didn't have the crank problems that the 597s did.

Like all info on the internet, verify. I verified this through many evenings of web research as well as through a childhood friend who works as a mech at his local Polaris dealer. This led me to getting an 98 xlt that had the pto side oil line cause I wanted a 597. Your results in verifying may differ.

·
Registered
327 Posts
fargoguy said:
my 93 is piped and run 240 mains. at 10 and below runs well. but above 10 you can till it needs different jets. i always run 91+ in her. good luck setting it up. mine has 5300 with pipes installed from day one and she's still going.
I too have 93xlt that I will be putting pipes on shortly. Did you change any other jets besides the main? What did you have in the primary and secondary clutches? What rpm are you running at? Any information you can give me would be appreciated.--Mike

1 - 15 of 15 Posts