Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 1996 Polaris XLT 600 Touring has about 3000 miles and now has ZERO compression in each of the three cylinders. Is this typical of the model and year? What can I check easily that will indicate the problem? Could it be the crank? Should I try to rebuild or drop in a used engine? What would a sled that is otherwise PERFECT with WOODIES CARBS sell for with a bad engine?? Thank you for your help...[:(]

·
Registered
837 Posts
is the motor running, or are you just chercking compression, becaase if it does run there will be something, i bet there is a problem with your gauge, it is very strange all cyclinders are down unless you broke a crank, check when you pull the start rope if the clutch is moving, and deffinitly don't rule out a problem with your gauge

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The engine does not turn over all. I am not getting anything in each of the cylinders. I am a little handy, is removing the crank a big job, on a scale of 1-10 where would it be?? Thanks in advance for the input...

·
Registered
837 Posts
the only hard part is getting the rotor off the magnito system, i give it a 6 but if you have a universal puller you can pop that off easy then i give taking the motor apart a 3, i am wondering how you are checking compression if the motor doesn't turn

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have a compression gauge connected to each cylinder minus the spark plug. I pull on the start cord with zero compression in each cylinder. The electric start clicks but nothing else happens. Thanks for responding.

·
Registered
837 Posts
do the neddles jump at all? try this take a pen or screwq driver and put it in each hole and turn the crank slowly and make sure the pistons are even moving

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Matt! I will try the pen in each cylinder to check for movement later this week. I will follow up with a posting...

Larry

·
Registered
414 Posts
Is your compression gauge working? never heard of a engine with zero compression on three cylinders. unless the crank is broken in pieces. Does your primary clutch rotate when you pull the cord? or do you have big holes in your engine?. buy your self a repair manual and pull the engine in pieces its actually a funny job to overhaul your engine, and you learn alot along the way.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Sound to me like the motor is locked up from what he describes. Sounds like a crank bearing to me. If it is a crank bearing don't expect a cheap fix. Riley

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Riley, would I be better off trying to buy a used motor for $500-600 or digging in and replacing the crank? I have never done this type of extensive repair. Thanks for the feedback.[8]

·
Registered
172 Posts
Imdski, I'm not clear by reading the posts on whether or not your engine is actually turning over. If it's not turning over, you won't get any compression... the pistons have to move up & down to develop compression.

If you ARE able to pull the engine over, but your pistons aren't moving, then it's a broken crank. Take a flashlight and look down your spark plug holes while pulling the engine over, you'll see if the pistons move.

·
Registered
19 Posts
As for as the crank being replaced it can get very expensive. Cost me 300 for a new one for a twin.
Check out http://www.alssnowmo.com/snowmobileindex.html
Go to parts search at the top, then search for the crank, and i found one on the fourth page for $495.00, that is the price if you send them your old cank. They send you the new crank and once they get yours they just rebuild it it sell it to the next person.
So this way is better than rebuilding the crank, if it is even the crank.
As far as the hardness of it i would give it a 8.
It took me probably 14 hours to put my entire engine back together, ran into a few problems but that was it.

Good luck

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I did try the pen in each spark plug hole and here is the info. Placed the pen in the two piston's closed to the clutch and did see up and down movement in them both while moving the clutch and by pulling the cord. I had no movement from the last piston with both the pull cord and clutch movement. Does this mean that the crank is broken or is the piston being seized? Please offer any ideas as to the potential problem. Thanks in advance...[:(]

·
Registered
172 Posts
Either the crank is broken or the connecting rod to the piston that's not moving is broken. In either case, you're going to have to tear into the lower end of the engine.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
NightTrain, thanks for the input but how can the crank be broken? Wouldn't the possible broken crank on the first piston, furthest away from clutch, cause the other two to not move? If the connecting rod is broken and not the crank, then why am I getting zero compression in the two other cylinders that do move? Please explain in better detail. I don't want to tear into now due to lack of time, but I can purchase an used engine locally for $800. I just need to narrow down the problem to determine whether I should buy this engine or try replacing the broken parts. Thanks for all of the comments. It is really appreciated....[^]

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
I cant figure out why you have zero compression in two cillenders if the pistons are going up and down.even if their completlt shot they should show a few pounds at least.but it doesent matter, because if one pisten isent moveing and the other two are you need a crank,wether the crank is broke or a connecting rod.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I still have this problem. Any thoughts? All 3 cylinders move up and down with no compression in each one. ANY THOUGHTS??[V]

1 - 20 of 27 Posts