Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well since we have absolutely no snow, i'm down to double checking and cleaning things, and was reading up on clutches, and heard a few people talking about not polishing the sheeves on the clutches, are they talking about the whole thing or just the part that the belt rides on, so basically what i asking is what all is polishable on a clutch, and what isnt ?, and why?
thanks

·
Registered
135 Posts
What they mean is don't touch the inside part where the belt rides. Think about it...if that's slippery what is the belt going to grab onto?

A few years back on my dad's sleds there was some belt gunk built up on the clutches...like a thick, black coating of rubber. The belt wouldn't grip at this part because it was like gloss. He took some sand paper, started the sled up without a belt and rubbed all if it off that way. So if you're looking to clean it up maybe look at doing that if they're all covered in gunk.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thats what i figured, just double checking, i didnt polish anything yet, but am going to make her look pretty , bored, laid off, no snow equals a good lookin sled

·
Registered
700 Posts
Polishing the outsides is fine. Never polish the belt surface. Its actually great practice to rough it up a little one a year or before a race with a fine abrasive.

·
Super Moderator
11,272 Posts
Only thing that it doesnt hurt to polish is the helix surface, makes it shift that much faster.

·
Registered
86 Posts
This is what tri-city polaris does to they're race sleds and all the sleds they do services on, Take 180grit sandpaper, start your motor without a belt, scuff it up lightly, and stop your motor, now make slight vertical scuffs up and down all the way around your clutch It helps a ton! and yes it is safe for your belt, but don't go any more coarse on your sandpaper

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
100-180 grit paper^^^^like he said.

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
I wet-sanded mine with 220 grit....about 2.5hrs worth of sanding both clutches...that was about as fun as watching paint dry....really it should be done annually...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts