Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today is a sad day at my house was planning on this bening the last ride any way but i didnt want it to end like this i was just cruzing around and i made a "u" turn and all of a sudden it just started to make a really bad bogging noise when i hit the gas so i shut off the engine and pulled the hood every thing looked alright so i pulled the plug from the recoil side and it looked good but then i pulled the plug from the clutch side and the plug looked like this/snofan/../images/users/exciter_man/spark plugs.jpg the one on the right is smashed down while the one on the left is regular its got a brand new comet clutch could that of been not balanced and blew my seal out of could of it been just a thing that happened not sure but i think it was 5000 miles on the origanal engine i am going to bore each out 20 over and start fresh any suggestions on how it could of happend and a way i can prevent it? and sorry for it might be a little long[:(][:(][:(][:(][:(][:(][:(]

·
Super Moderator
11,279 Posts
Sorry to hear about your engine problems. Why was this going to be your last day of riding??

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i dont think there is gonna be enough snow after today i live in van buren county almost into indianna its gonna get like 40 tomorrow

·
Registered
85 Posts
well, sounds like a connecting rod or a wrist pin let loose! maybe a broken ring? the exciter should be an easy fix, if you do the work yourself, keep everything clean, remember how it all goes back together, maybe take some pics. with a digital camera, have the cylinders bored at a reputible shop, and automotive shop can do these also.
one thing to keep in mind, these engines were not designed to turn a high rpm, anything over 7500 is fair game on blowing one up! i know! so becareful how your clutch is set up. when i lost mine the first time, it was due to a carb intake boot being cracked(old age) so double check them!
good luck, dave
p.s. nice drawings!

·
Registered
172 Posts
Again, I agree with Dave.

Something bad happened in that right cylinder... either your piston came unglued & slammed up against your head which would smash your spark plug, or you had a piece of metal that came up to the top of your cylinder (a piece of one of your rings, most likely) that allowed the piston to smash that plug.
In any event, I'd wager that you'll have to pull your head off there & see what exactly happened to her. It should be obvious when you pull it off, my money is on the broken ring, which should be fairly inexpensive to fix.

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Pick yourself up a Clymer shop manual for your sled, and you'll be all set. Take your time, follow the directions, (and my little tip: when ever you take a screw or bolt out to take something apart....once you get it apart put that screw/bolt back in its threaded hole so you don't lose any of them, and you know where they all go), and take your time.

You should be all set for next season with a new engine. Best of luck.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Good job here guys!!

ExciterMan said it just started to bog, so I would have a to think it was something got in the jug, like a piece of ring or something that was left in the engine after a service call. If it were a wrist pin or a rod that let go, it would sound big nasty.

Either way, pull the top off and you will learn.

GL

DNO.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i pulled the top off topay it must of had major piston slap because the bottom half of the piston on that side is totaly gone nothing left so i gotta flush out the bottom end bore it out and put a piston kit in it so i am looking at close to 300 bucks and i am taking donations lol.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts