Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been hearing a popping noise everytime and only when i slam on the throttle from a dead stop. Its coming from either the engine or the track. If my belt is too big could it be missing cogs? Anybody have any idea what this could be????

·
Registered
27 Posts
could be a prob with the jetting and its just back fireing from all the un burnt gas and i dont think that its the track because if it were then youd be able to see stress marks at the bottum of the cogs (im assuming that uv looked) and parts of the track would probbe missing from slaming the throttle.

·
Registered
21 Posts
HAD THE SAME KIND OF NOISE ON MY SON'S ZL 440 AND IT WAS THE BEARING ON THE DRIVE AXLE ON THE CLUTCH SIDE. FROM A DEAD STOP IT WOULD SNAP AND CRACK ON TAKEOFF. IT WAS TIGHT BUT WAS COMPLETLY DRIED OUT. ALSO CHECK TO MAKE SURE UR BELT ISN'T GLAZED, SOMETIMES THAT WILL GIVE YOU A KNOCKING NOISE ON TAKEOFF.

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
i would also check the chain tensioner. when its too loose you will sometime hear a noise like that. check drive shaft bearings too.

P.S.- SNO-DAY, IS YOUR CAPS LOCK PERMENANTLY ON?! [thumb]

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
its the jetting, Happened with buddys rhino, you will get to a certain point and it will start popping and if you let up it will go away.

·
Registered
6,044 Posts
2 things to check here.
You don't know if it's track or motor.

So pull your plugs and look at them and at your wash.
(Do a search on piston wash and look for the thread with the pictures and you will see what I mean)
Adjust your jetting from that if need be.

Then check and adjust your track tension.
See where you are from there.
Also, I remember editing a thread with service manual links for pretty much every machine, so do a search for service manuals and you will find that too.
That should at least point you in the right direction [thumb]

1 - 6 of 6 Posts